Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good tow rope for quading?  (Read 2672 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Good tow rope for quading?
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »

I know this isn't 100% related to fishing...but I'm sure a lot of you like me use their quad to get into some remote lakes to fish, or just like exploring on their quads.

Anyway, my wife and I bought a quad last fall (Polaris 550 Sportsman, 2-up). The primary reason was to explore in the wilderness, places where we can't get in with our 4Runner (or have tried and gotten stuck!). We also plan to use it for hunting, etc.

It came with a winch...3000lb I think? I'm not sure how long it is, I've never extended it to check to be honest. I think it's a good idea to carry a length of rope strong enough to act as an extension of the winch cable. Sooner or later we're going to get it stuck, and I don't want to be 10ft short of cable to the nearest tree! >:(

What would ya'll reccomend? Specifically:

-What type of rope? Or perhaps chain? Should I look for a specific breaking strength?
-Where would you shop for this? I was at crappy tire the other day and didnt see anything that looked sufficent. Maybe KMS tools?

While we're on the topic of quading, and given that we're newish to this scene, what other "just in case" stuff do ya'll quaders carry with you? Off the top of my head we carry, or plan to buy/carry before next fishing/hunting season....

-Collapsable metal shovel (solid, army issue).
-Small saw and/or small axe.
-80 or so feet of good rope (not suitable for winching)
-Tire puncture kit (don't have, but plan to buy)
-12V air compressor to inflate tire if needed (dont have but plan to buy)
-Small survival kit I made with stuff like water treatment tabs, fire starting stuff, flashlight, emergency blanket, whistle, knife, basic gun cleaning items.
-"tree saver" strap to go around tree if winching on to (don't have but plan to buy).

A few time we packed our small chainsaw but found it to be too big/bulky and usually just pack the axe or saw now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:49:46 AM by Spawn Sack »

SPEYMAN

Re: Good tow rope for quading?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

There are a number of ATV clubs in B.C. that would be willing to provide you with the information you seek. They can be found at www.atvbc.ca .

There is lot's of information about ATVing. Another site is Quads.ca.

A first aid kit is nice to have.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »

2 things to add is a jerry can of extra gas and a gps to make sure you get back safe. both have saved me on more than 1 occasion.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:54:26 PM »

SPEYMAN, thanks for that site! I haven't checked it out yet, but I will for sure.

I forgot to mention there are some basic first aid supplies in the survival kit I made. Also I want to get these things a guy from work has, basically they are a cloth you put over a bad wound and it causes the blood to clot right away. Would be good for a bad cut etc beyond the capabilities of gauze.

Bigblockfox, yeah we also try to carry an extra 5L of gas. The 550 is pretty easy on gas and we try to fill it up before going out, but hey you never know you (or someone else) might need it.

I will check out the forum site specific to this topic, but if someone wants to offer advice here I'd still appreciate it. Might not have time to cruise the other site(s) until later in the week.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »

Buy a tow strap. Rolls up nice, comes in varying lengths, various strengths, and has welded loops on both ends.
Just choke the tree, hook up to your winch and pull away. No tying knots and way lighter then any chain of equal length would be.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:47:44 PM by Noahs Arc »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »

I should mention, when hooking a recovery strap to a stretched out winch cable, there is a lot of energy stored. If you get real stuck, and for arguments sake the strap was to snap(not likely)
The cable and hook would sling shot straight towards the vehicle be it ATV or truck or tractor.
It is good practise to lay something on the cable, like a jacket or floor mat or even a a heavy branch. This will stop the energy from transferring to the cable and hook and push it into the dirt if the strap snaps.

I once watched a snatch block fly through the air and punch a clean hole through shatter proof glass on Cat 980 wheel loader. Not cool. Operator lucky to escape without harm.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »

i would also add a few feet of chains, good for dragging fire wood back to camp with a good rope.