Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latest Salmon you've caught?  (Read 14226 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Latest Salmon you've caught?
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:23:48 AM »

I've heard/seen people (even caught the off one myself), catching Coho this late - maybe even the odd "chrome one." I've also seen/heard of chinook at this time of year.

This one is a first for me:

It was quite a surprise bringing in a super chrome sockeye on a steelhead outing. Not a big one, but then again this system is known for it's relatively small sockeye.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Latest Salmon you've caught?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:27:26 AM »

That is one confused fish! I've seen a coho in fresh water in Feb but never a sockeye in the following year.

Toprod

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 07:36:09 AM »

Is that from the Stamp/Somass?

DRP79

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »

That one took the short bus in, wondering where everybody was.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »

A little off topic but I have seen fresh chums in the Vedder in mid February, and a recently spawned chum in March.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:04:24 AM »

Ive caught a mega chromer of a wild coho last year on a squamish trib in February.

islanddude

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »

Caught a chrome pink salmon around the middle of Dec. 2014 in the Quinsam. Male around 5 lbs. Another fisherman said he also caught a bright pink. The hatchery staff had also caught clean pinks in Dec.  while fishing for cutthroats. We did have an estimated return of 1.5 million pinks last yr.
 In 1976 I caught a bright coho salmon near the Ranger run in the Chilliwack river on a pink rubber worm. That was in January.

santefe

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 09:34:59 AM »

I caught a bright chrome coho on December 18, 1974. At first I thought it was a steelhead until Fred told me otherwise

santefe

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »

I caught a bright chrome coho on December 18, 1974. At first I thought it was a steelhead until Fred told me otherwise

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »

Over the years I've taken a few bright coho in mid-Dec. I have caught a few that were a bit gray in January with the latest on the 30th. I also took one in Feb one year that was sunburned.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »

Is that from the Stamp/Somass?

Yes it was!

A little off topic but I have seen fresh chums in the Vedder in mid February, and a recently spawned chum in March.

Interesting Dave! That's a cool find. I mostly started this topic to see what kinds of salmon people had caught late... I am well aware that coho quite often are around right into January/February. I've seen them and caught them, some rivers on the island are well known for the fish running until now even.

Pinks were also an anomaly this year. I know of many that were caught in a number of systems right up until the first week of January. One buddy that does swim counts said up until about a week ago, every time they had a rain, there would be 1000 new pinks spawning in the tail outs.

With all that being said, this is still the latest I have ever seen, or heard of a sockeye. Curious to see if anyone else had ever seen one like this at the end of January before, or if all the salmon are just really messed up this year.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 04:38:43 PM »

I know a couple of you guys here on this site will remember the fairly large push of chrome Sockeye that entered into the Harrison River in January a few years ago! Made for some exciting times while fly fishing for cutthroat!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

mikeyman

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »

This winter has been very warm and wet! Seems to be a trend of fish returning late every year.

sbc hris

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 07:38:59 PM »

I've caught coho into March, and fairly fresh ones into late January, maybe even Febuary. But never seen a sockeye this late!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »

I think the radiation is starting to get to them.  :o