Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cost of replacing centerpin bearings  (Read 12968 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Cost of replacing centerpin bearings
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »

- centerpinangling ontario has service packages or you can get them to do the replacement.
--for the snobs out there Okuma uses german made bearings on some models thus likely why the request for german replacement.
--many fine reels have Japanese ceramic or stainless bearings in them... some say the best in the world.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:03:15 PM by skaha »

losos

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »

Hey Humpy I don't want to start argument ,but tell me what is so much better other than fit  in the Islander than in the Raw II.
CP needs to have fast start-up (that depends on spool weight) and feed easily line (that depends on how bearings,in this case, are greased) and be light (Okuma is slightly lighter at 8.23 oz vs Islander 8.5 oz)

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 04:52:06 PM »

Some elitism in this thread. Okuma's work just fine out of the box and if the OP's reel is not spinning well it's not because it's poor quality but likely needs a little TLC.

The only reason why asked this is because i recently bought one of a friend for extremely cheap but had a slow startup spin for a reason i couldnt answer.I dont  c-pin alot because i mainly fish spey.I didnt want to get another reel so i read about replacing the bearings.

As others have suggested try giving it a good cleaning first. Go easy on the lubricant, less is more.

Are you sure its a bearing problem? Is there any wobble or anything to suggest the spindle or frame is off kilter?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »

Are you sure its a bearing problem? Is there any wobble or anything to suggest the spindle or frame is off kilter?
[/quote/]
I thought at first it was a bearing problem but after reading the posts by other members it sounds like it needs cleaning instead.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 07:25:01 PM »

Some elitism in this thread.
Nope, not at all! Just Canadianism!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Robsrsx

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 08:38:44 PM »

try cleaning it and  applying sewing machine oil or  try centerpinanglingdotcom they  sell  and  service all  kinds  of float reels. They  also  have  abec 7 upgrade  bearings.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:42:05 PM by Robsrsx »

Humpy

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »

Hey Humpy I don't want to start argument ,but tell me what is so much better other than fit  in the Islander than in the Raw II.
CP needs to have fast start-up (that depends on spool weight) and feed easily line (that depends on how bearings,in this case, are greased) and be light (Okuma is slightly lighter at 8.23 oz vs Islander 8.5 oz)
Fit, feel, performance, etc.
Its really personal preference but IMO the islander is a better bang for your buck reel compared to other cheaper alternatives. To each their own.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »

I can almost guarantee there's nothing wrong with your reel and do not require replacing the bearings. Vast majority of bearings come from manufactures packed with grease. This has something to do with the possibility of the bearings sitting in storage or no being sold for a while. Grease will not dry out or seep out of the bearings over time in storage. Simply clean the bearings out with lighter fluid like others have said and then oil them with hot sauce or any other light reel/sewing machine oil. Bearings are meant to be oiled when in service, not greased. Your reel will most likely be noticeably louder once properly oiled. There is nothing wrong with them.

BananasQ

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 07:47:08 AM »

Great thread - I am looking to get into centrepinning and have been struggling with the costs of the "must have" items such as an Islander.  I think that I will be picking up an Okuma in the states for about a third of the price of an islander.  From their reviews on many other sites and comments I have read they sometimes need a bit of TLC out of the box, but are more than good enough to get the job done.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »

Great thread - I am looking to get into centrepinning and have been struggling with the costs of the "must have" items such as an Islander.  I think that I will be picking up an Okuma in the states for about a third of the price of an islander.  From their reviews on many other sites and comments I have read they sometimes need a bit of TLC out of the box, but are more than good enough to get the job done.

The islander is a "must have" for some people, because it's made in BC. The same reason Milners and  Campbells (less) are as well. It's Canadiana. You either get it or you dont.
Yes money is a huge factor to some, this can be an expensive sport. My old Islander has been to hell and back a few times, and it still works the way it did when it was new. I just call all the dings on the rim "extra grip" when it's raining.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »

After 28 years my Islander was running funny.First I thought the guides in my 3113 Sage were worn switched to another rod.Same problem.Sounded like a poorly tuned violin type vibration.Cleaning failed to address the issue.New bearings from Boca were inexpensive.Great service and a snap,literally to change.Runs like a young colt now.
Riverman

BananasQ

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »

The islander is a "must have" for some people, because it's made in BC. The same reason Milners and  Campbells (less) are as well. It's Canadiana. You either get it or you dont.
Yes money is a huge factor to some, this can be an expensive sport. My old Islander has been to hell and back a few times, and it still works the way it did when it was new. I just call all the dings on the rim "extra grip" when it's raining.

See, the problem is if I know it is something I will do many years and be able to get out many times per year, absolutely agree and buying something that will last is actually an economical decision as opposed to replacing an inferior model multiple times.  However, factoring in that I have no idea if I will like pinning and I have young kids and negotiating days away fishing isn't always easy, makes making these decisions harder and sometimes you have to err on the side of caution. 

losos

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »

A little research on Okuma shows it uses German bearings.
Seriously I have hard time understanding how Islander can outlast Okuma if later is taken care of. There is nothing that can be more damaged in Okuma than in Islander.
I have this model and the only thing that pisses me of is its weak clicker, fit is less irritating.
To author of opening post, there is British cp that has very light spool thus providing easy start-up ,but I can't recall its name. It is moderately priced.
About spinning time being of no importance, I fail to comprehend that as increased spinning time on the  reel clearly indicates less friction during spool rotation  thus making easy to make float go down the river more natural.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:15:17 PM by losos »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 06:50:37 PM »

Well like I said, you either get it or you don't.
I'm sure theres  nothing wrong with the okuma, I've never used one.
I never said spinning time is of no importance. Re read my original post.

Humpy

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

A little research on Okuma shows it uses German bearings.
Seriously I have hard time understanding how Islander can outlast Okuma if later is taken care of. There is nothing that can be more damaged in Okuma than in Islander.
I have this model and the only thing that pisses me of is its weak clicker, fit is less irritating.
To author of opening post, there is British cp that has very light spool thus providing easy start-up ,but I can't recall its name. It is moderately priced.
About spinning time being of no importance, I fail to comprehend that as increased spinning time on the  reel clearly indicates less friction during spool rotation  thus making easy to make float go down the river more natural.
The British CP is the Cyprinus. It is a well made reel and functions great, not as good as the islander but you get what you pay for. Reason I sold mine is because I don't like a caged reel.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.