Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice fishing  (Read 1323 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Ice fishing
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »

::)

Wow was that ice clear. I'm no ice fisherman but that was neat seeing through the ice.
Maybe that's normal after awhile in those heated tents??

islanddude

Re: Ice fishing
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »

I was working in the Yukon back in 1983 and the overhead crane operator on the job site said he would take me out to the lake where my partner and I had been fishing in the summer. We had caught lots of 3 and 4 pound rainbows while fly fishing there and had some real screamers on too.
 I told the  maintenance foreman about this lake. What a surprise when he showed me pictures of a 10 1/2 and a 12 lb. rainbow. They caught these fish one weekend in Sept. on a fly. I had gone over to Haines Alaska to sample the coho fishing  with Pat the crane operater the same weekend. Thats another story. Out of the artic came a storm a couple of days later and ended the chance to catch any more fish on the fly.
 In the summer you paddled across one lake and portaged to the lake where these big rainbow where.
 We went across the first lake on cystal clear ice in Dec.  You could see right to the bottom. Made me a little nervous since we were on Pat's snowmoble.
 I never noticed how clear the ice was on the way back as I cradled a 14 pound rainbow in my arms.
 She was caught on a Diawa mini spin.It was loaded with 4 lbs. test. I had to almost do the same thing as on the video. The fish was hooked right in the top of the mouth. Gave Pat the rod after about a 15 min. battle. He got the head of the trout entered into the hole. I reached down in the hole and slipped my finger's under the gill plate and pulled it onto the ice.