Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TFO 5wt fly rod suggestions  (Read 5626 times)

Ambassador

TFO 5wt fly rod suggestions
« on: December 18, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »

My dad is optimistically hoping for a new 5wt fly rod for Christmas. He likes the TFO rods, but I don't know a lot about their smaller rods and am short on time to go deep into researching. I have a #9 TFO Lefty Kreh that I really like for Chum, but that is a pretty different beast to a 5wt trout rod.
He will be mostly casting and trolling from his aluminum boat in fresh water, and some shore fishing. Possibly to use with the Pinks next fall, but mostly interior lakes and streams within an hour of Kamloops - so trout is the game.
I'd like to get him something fantastic as fishing is his life (He has been tying flies for longer than I have been on this earth). A really nice Sage would be great - but a bit out of my price range.

New and (well)under $500 is my goal. Not looking for anything used as this is a gift (Unless something incredible for an even more incredible price)
I'm going to go chat with Andre and Gary this weekend at their shops, but wanted some advice before I get in the zone with cash in hand.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: TFO 5wt fly rod suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 04:26:50 AM »

I have a TFO lefty 4 piece in a 3wt. I have been very happy with it the few years I've had it.

ajransom

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 06:47:04 AM »

TFO rods are great value for money. I have a couple and love them... 5 weight would be great for interior lake. Maybe even consider a 6 too - some big fish up there!

May be worth checking out Redington and Echo too. Redington is owned by Sage, and have great rods at good prices. I have an Echo spey rod, but friends of mine swear by their trout rods. They are also great value...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »

The Left Kreh NXT rods are available as complete outfits for $250. That leaves extra $ for a second reel spool and a sinking line.That's all your dad would probably need at this point. Up the line the BVK rods look really nice.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »

I fish a BVK 4100 (10' 4wt) and its an awesome rod.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

nosey

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »

I've got a 4pc 6wt tfo I love it, quality rod, nice case, used it a lot on pinks, took it to Belize a few years back bone fish fishing it never seemed over powered or out of place anywhere.

jeff

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »

I have the exact Rod you are talking about and love it. It's a great rod in my opinion.
Enjoying the water..........

Daguru

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:45:04 PM »

Agreed with hook, the bvk is one sweet rod

ajransom

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »

Check out Freds in Abby or chilliwack. They have Echo Edge fly rods for $130, down from $260. Hard to beat a deal like that...

Ambassador

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 03:28:20 PM »

So I ended up getting him a 5wt - 9' BVK (no 10's to be found).

The look on his face was priceless. He was blown away and as close to shedding a tear of happiness as I have ever seen. Turns out that is exactly the one he has been drooling over in the Bass Pro catalogue - though he would have purchased a lesser model to save $.

As dad's and son's can be, we don't often see things in the same light, but have found an awesome common ground in fishing. This forum is a great resource and I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to reply and help me hit a Christmas home run.

Happy Holidays and tight lines in 2015!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

ajransom

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »

So I ended up getting him a 5wt - 9' BVK (no 10's to be found).

The look on his face was priceless. He was blown away and as close to shedding a tear of happiness as I have ever seen. Turns out that is exactly the one he has been drooling over in the Bass Pro catalogue - though he would have purchased a lesser model to save $.

As dad's and son's can be, we don't often see things in the same light, but have found an awesome common ground in fishing. This forum is a great resource and I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to reply and help me hit a Christmas home run.

Happy Holidays and tight lines in 2015!

Great story. Money very well spent!