Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Privatization of rivers  (Read 14431 times)

SPEYMAN

Re: Privatization of rivers
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »

If you are going to quote regulations, suggest you do a better job.

5. Are non-resident alien anglers required to hire a guide during the Classified Waters Period?
No, but there are limitations. If a non-resident alien angler desires to fish during restricted times i.e.
Canadian resident-only times and zones, they may do so by hiring a guide in some cases. This is
permitted on rivers where guiding is allowed during Canadian resident-only times and zones. See
Table 1 below for more information.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »

The gov. doesn't have the legal ability to just change the whole model.

I think you are seriously mistaken

nothing you quote has anything to do with the legal power of the Government and the Legislature. Our ability to fish under license and the structure of that licensing system exists purely at the governments' pleasure and they can change it as they see fit. Most of the changes in fees, ability to fish or not fish certain waters how and who is done by regulation which government can change as it sees fit. the only thing that can stop them is the fear of losing power.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 06:22:28 AM »

nothing you quote has anything to do with the legal power of the Government and the Legislature. Our ability to fish under license and the structure of that licensing system exists purely at the governments' pleasure and they can change it as they see fit. Most of the changes in fees, ability to fish or not fish certain waters how and who is done by regulation which government can change as it sees fit. the only thing that can stop them is the fear of losing power.

I dont quote anything yet nor do you guys, rather we are both making assumptions.   

My assumption is like all government related instances and agreements there is a policy/contract/legal document binding the terms that are set. The gov. Cant just legally sign them away if other parties interests are involved.

Your assumption is no such thimg occurs so basically the tov. has free range to change anything at any time.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 06:39:36 AM »

If you are going to quote regulations, suggest you do a better job.

5. Are non-resident alien anglers required to hire a guide during the Classified Waters Period?
No, but there are limitations. If a non-resident alien angler desires to fish during restricted times i.e.
Canadian resident-only times and zones, they may do so by hiring a guide in some cases. This is
permitted on rivers where guiding is allowed during Canadian resident-only times and zones. See
Table 1 below for more information.

For starters thats from april 2012, our reg book is 2013-2015.

2nd you need to do a better job om quoting regs considering that q&a isnt even part of the reg book.

But nice try.

speycaster

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 06:52:49 AM »

My assumption is like all government related instances and agreements there is a policy/contract/legal document binding the terms that are set. The gov. Cant just legally sign them away if other parties interests are involved.

The government is going to destroy peoples homes in the Peace River area without the consent of the owners. The Social Credit government of W.A.C. Bennett did it on the Columbia, burnt peoples homes with all contents in them when they would not leave. So do not put your faith in the integrity of politicians, there is a reason for the saying  " politicians are like sperm, only one in a million turns out to be human ". ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 07:01:18 AM »

I dont quote anything yet nor do you guys, rather we are both making assumptions.   

I am not making any assumptions. There is no binding legal right to sportfish let alone a locked system of licensing. As I said licensing structures is set by regulation not legislation. I think these are facts of how government operates that you don't understand.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »

So you think that a law enacted in 2012 does not apply now? Guides are gives special treatment not afforded to others. Non residents can hire a guide and be allowed to fish waters closed to other non resident anglers. That is special treatment for guides.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 12:31:31 PM »

I have heard talk about how the Thompson R. might eventually turn to limited entry system in order to fish the steelhead in it because of their limited number. Right now it's all hearsay but if the Gov't. ever decided to go this route you can be darn sure they'd be selling them off to the highest bidder which would likely be non-residents.  Hopefully this will NEVER happen but the government is not listening to biologists and regional managers when it comes to over harvesting the sheep in Region 4 of the East Kootneys because of the new allocations they've given the guides/outfitters.  It's a recipe for total disaster!

The bottom line is do we want any sort of privitization when it comes to our wiildlife be it fish or huntable game!  If you feel that the residents of British Columbia should have prior treatment over foreigners in this regard then it would be in your best interest to sign the petition or better yet, write a letter to your local MLA showing your displeasure that this backdoor deals between the government giving preference to guides/outfitters is a travesty!  Our rivers could be next in the not too distant future.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?113151-BCWF-Wildlife-Allocation-Petition-Please-Sign!

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 08:16:31 PM »

I am not making any assumptions. There is no binding legal right to sportfish let alone a locked system of licensing. As I said licensing structures is set by regulation not legislation. I think these are facts of how government operates that you don't understand.

Agreed on the right to sportfish.  But your ignoring the breakdown and allocation of the license revenue to other organizations,  like ffsbc who has the provincial stocking contract. Ffsbc is funded by license fees, and the stocking program is paid for by everyone who buys a license.

The key word in that last paragraph being contract, a legal document affected by legislation.

So you think that a law enacted in 2012 does not apply now? Guides are gives special treatment not afforded to others. Non residents can hire a guide and be allowed to fish waters closed to other non resident anglers. That is special treatment for guides.

Well if we go back I mention show me in the regs, not show me a q&a document not referred to by the reg book.

And as for the 2012 question,  are you using the 2011-2013 reg book, or the 2013-2015 booklet atm?

And what seems to be forgotten is the general public.  unlike the tag allocation decision which directly affects around 5% of B.C's population, river privatization would see the population of BC having to pay for river use, further the public does not take kindly to the sale of crown properties.  I could also mention the policy issues of river privitization with regards to prov parks, public bridges, logging road crossings, etc

In closing, the parent issue needs to be addressed.  I have taken the time to write my mla, and the minister.  If you truely believe river privatization is a possibility, stop trying to tell me, im not changing my stance.  Use your energy elsewhere so the gov't doesnt think the prioritization of non-residents for bc game is appropriate.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 12:16:05 AM »

One can only hope that as you grow, you will become more educated and understand life as it really is. No sense confusing you with facts, your mind is already made up.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »

http://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/angling/removal-westmere-lake-water-specific-regulation-listing

--check out the rationale for the regulation change... westmere was a walk in lake with no ice fishing.
--rationale... the lake is being drawn down to a level where fish cannot survive. There are many lakes in the area that are under water license where the primary use is for human. Not even a sniffle over this lake loss for fishing yet.
--privatization in the sense that other users are unnecessarily excluded by licenses and regulation. 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 07:50:26 PM »

no privatizaition  :) no way !
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?