Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bifocal sunglasses  (Read 3723 times)

bluenoser

Bifocal sunglasses
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »

I could read a watch battery about a year ago and always poked fun at my buddies when they peeked over their readers to tie knots.

This fall I started having an issue tying knots especially in low light.....damn getting old sucks!

Has anyone tried bifocal sunglasses or do you carry a set of readers which can also be used in low light :-\

BN

nosey

Re: Bifocal sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »

I have found that when you consider the alternatives getting old actually isn't that bad, lol I tie quite a few knots from muscle memory but sometimes the line just won't co-operate and those reading glasses are just as important as anything else I have in my bag.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »

Can't remember what my dad was using, but I believe with the bifocals he mis-judged the rocks on the bank, tripped, and went head-first into the river.

Luckily he only lost his glasses.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »

I have tried just about everything.I find most Polaroid glasses too dark for the conditions on the coast.Especially during Salmon and Steelhead season.To overcome the reading glass problem I tried a quality pair of Onos bi-focal Polaroids.They threw off my depth perception.A dangerous thing.Broke my hand climbing over rocks fighting a fish.Tried taking them off from then on when traversing rocks.Forgot the next year and slipped hitting my head.I only use them in the boat now(too soon old too late smart lol).Switch back and forth between readers and them  when on a river. This summer I bought a set of hat mounted break-aways from Orvis.Once I repaired the poor construction they worked good.Still only a compromise solution.I agree with Nosey!
Riverman

bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:49:17 AM »

Thanks for the replies

Never considered the depth of perception while walking the river, I'm a klutz without any outside influence. Think I'll buy cheap readers and not bifocal sunglasses.

BN

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »

i've also noticed my eye sight starting to weaken, but rather than giving into wearing glasses, I've compensated by tying bigger loops prior to tightening knots.

c-pin

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »

I have a pair of reader sunglasses. I thought they would be a good idea. They are, if you are lying on the beach reading a book.

If you are fishing, and you wear them, your depth perception is off. I found this out this summer while fishing at Ambleside. Luckily, I was fishing the beach and not the breakwater.

I have stocked up on cheap readers from the dollar store, and switch to them when I'm tying knots.

John
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

obie1fish

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »

I have use Maui Readers (Maui Jim) for a number of years now, and am a walking ad for them, not just for fishing, but driving, or just out and about. Got a good deal on them over the dozen or so years, and I work them hard on the river and in the salt. I left an older pair at the train bridge in the fall, so hopefully the person who found them gets good use out of the reader part of the lens.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:38:40 AM »

One thing to remember about bifocals is when you look down, you have to move your entire head downward.  If you move only your eyes, you're looking through the magnification part and then you throw off your depth perception.  A friend of mine learned that lesson the hard way when he first got bifocals.
President Club S. C. & P.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 06:54:11 AM »

Leech Eyewear has a pair, and in my opinion leech has the best polarization I have seen in a  pair of sunglasses.

I am sure Fred's Tackle has them in stock.

http://www.leecheyewear.com/

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »

I use bifocal  polarized sunglasses and they took a bit of time to get use to them and that did not take long because I wear progressive glasses all the time so this really helped. Now that I am used to both I love them.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day