Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod Rack/organizing rods  (Read 6044 times)

ThatDeafGuy

Rod Rack/organizing rods
« on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:22 PM »

So how do you guys organize your fishing rods?  Do you have a rack?  If so, can you post pics?  I've heard stories of people saying that you can warp your rods if you hang them vertically?  Is there any truth to this?

I have them all in 3 tube transport containers in my storage room.  I'd like to set it up so it's easier to grab my rod and just go, especially with my busy schedule, doesn't really allow for a lot of prep time.  I also do every kind of fishing except on the ocean.

Thanks!
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

mikeyman

Re: Rod Rack/organizing rods
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »

I have built my rod racks. They are simple to make and inexpensive. Just need a few pieces of 1x 4. And some screws. A chop saw and jig saw.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:29:18 AM by mikeyman »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »

I have built my rod racks. They are simple to make and inexpensive. Just need a few pieces of 1x 4. And some screws. A chop saw and jig saw.

Same here. Clamp both 1x4s together then cut it on my friends band saw then routed the edges. Just used some cheap 1/4 ply to brace them apart then once it was on the wall it was solid.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »

If, like myself, you are not that adept at working with wood, I would reccomend these Rapala racks. Whole Sale Sports sells them, and I'm sure a lot of other retailers do as well. I like this model that has the "jaws" that clamp over your rod. They will not damage the blank and the rod will NOT slip/fall out.

There are simialr types of racks but they have FOAM that grips the rod. I have had these and would not reccomend them for TWO piece rods, for once piece they are okay. The reason is the two piece rod, when broken in half with the two pieces together, is pretty fat/wide. This compresses/streches the foam a lot. If you put a skinnier rod in the foam where you had a fat 2-piece rod before, sometimes they fall out! I had a few rod fall right out of the rack and were laying on the garage floor >:(

With this model it can not happen as the jaws clamp over the rod and will not wear out.

http://www.rapala.com/rapala/fishing-tools/all-other-fishing-tools/lock-n-hold-rod-rack/PGRH-6.html

VA7DDP

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »

If, like myself, you are not that adept at working with wood, I would reccomend these Rapala racks. Whole Sale Sports sells them, and I'm sure a lot of other retailers do as well. I like this model that has the "jaws" that clamp over your rod. They will not damage the blank and the rod will NOT slip/fall out.

There are simialr types of racks but they have FOAM that grips the rod. I have had these and would not reccomend them for TWO piece rods, for once piece they are okay. The reason is the two piece rod, when broken in half with the two pieces together, is pretty fat/wide. This compresses/streches the foam a lot. If you put a skinnier rod in the foam where you had a fat 2-piece rod before, sometimes they fall out! I had a few rod fall right out of the rack and were laying on the garage floor >:(

With this model it can not happen as the jaws clamp over the rod and will not wear out.

http://www.rapala.com/rapala/fishing-tools/all-other-fishing-tools/lock-n-hold-rod-rack/PGRH-6.html

Agreed, we use the foam ones at work. You will see rods falling ghostly on their own. Lol

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »

You have to buy four of those, only need one. :(

I built something for my fly rod tubes, but need for the loose rods.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:40:56 PM by Flytech »

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the ideas, I'd suggest checking out Pinterest if you have a chance.  Lots of great ideas on there!  I saw this on there: http://www.custommade.com/reclaimed-lumber-fishing-rod-rackcabinet/by/tomscustomwoodworking/

Now that is a sweet set up!!!  You can make your own, it doesn't necessarily have to be reclaimed wood.  This is a project for the new year.  I hope to post pictures on this.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 11:19:04 PM »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 02:23:18 AM »

Hey guys, thanks for the ideas, I'd suggest checking out Pinterest if you have a chance.  Lots of great ideas on there!  I saw this on there: http://www.custommade.com/reclaimed-lumber-fishing-rod-rackcabinet/by/tomscustomwoodworking/

Now that is a sweet set up!!!  You can make your own, it doesn't necessarily have to be reclaimed wood.  This is a project for the new year.  I hope to post pictures on this.

Starting at $2700!?!?!?! For a couple pieces of old wood? Me thinks I'm in the wrong business!
Looks good though if you were to make your own, and had the floor space.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 06:28:20 AM »

I got these from Wholesale Sports, you can lay them out like the pic or back to back. $35.00 for 2.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 07:11:34 AM »

Holy Rod addiction!

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »

Starting at $2700!?!?!?! For a couple pieces of old wood? Me thinks I'm in the wrong business!
Looks good though if you were to make your own, and had the floor space.

Haha!  That's what I thought when I saw that, but after talking to a friend about working with reclaimed wood, he said it can be trick and frustrating for a number of reasons:
-Hard to find the desired size and same type of wood for a project of this size (you can buy for $$$)
-When you're working with older wood, they're brittle and break easily, so sanding and cutting it has to come with utmost care
-Old finish has to be sanded off before you can start, so that takes time as well

Flytech, you can probably add other pieces of wood on the side of the shelf and have bigger holes for the fly rod tubes.  I am planning to add that as well into it, so it is ready to go when I want to go flyfishing.

minnie-me, holy crap... that's a lot of rods!!!  Nice collection you have.  I also spotted the glass case on the right.  That's something I'd like to do since I have some of my grandfather's fishing reels back in his day, makes for a nice display case.

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »

btw minnie-me, I like the idea, but its nice to have the reels on the rod to go, it'd be a bit tight on the rack, especially with the spinning reels (I have 6 lol)

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 06:33:10 PM »

Haha!  That's what I thought when I saw that, but after talking to a friend about working with reclaimed wood, he said it can be trick and frustrating for a number of reasons:
-Hard to find the desired size and same type of wood for a project of this size (you can buy for $$$)
-When you're working with older wood, they're brittle and break easily, so sanding and cutting it has to come with utmost care
-Old finish has to be sanded off before you can start, so that takes time as well

Flytech, you can probably add other pieces of wood on the side of the shelf and have bigger holes for the fly rod tubes.  I am planning to add that as well into it, so it is ready to go when I want to go flyfishing.

minnie-me, holy crap... that's a lot of rods!!!  Nice collection you have.  I also spotted the glass case on the right.  That's something I'd like to do since I have some of my grandfather's fishing reels back in his day, makes for a nice display case.

If your attempting it yourself you could first burn the wood your planning too use then pressure wash it and paint with a vinegar solution. Will give you the same rustic look without the hassle of dealing with and finding old wood