Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Video - Pinks on Dries  (Read 7651 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pink Video - Pinks on Dries
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 06:33:09 AM »

Basically, but they are not... ...

there is that horizontal black foam blade which isn't on the gurgler. Looks like that is put in before the upper gurgler foam is folded down and perhaps glued to it. Is the black foam put on the shank by sticking a hole in the centre with a bodkin then pushed over the eye through that hole?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

rustybee

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 06:56:21 AM »

Really cool video. Thanks, for sharing!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »

there is that horizontal black foam blade which isn't on the gurgler. Looks like that is put in before the upper gurgler foam is folded down and perhaps glued to it. Is the black foam put on the shank by sticking a hole in the centre with a bodkin then pushed over the eye through that hole?

Yes, the horizontal foam is key. I poke a hole in the middle, slide it on the hook, double it over the eye, and secure it down by wrapping thread over 1/4" of the foam onto the hook shank, and then glue as well. Once that's done, I throw in all my other other materials and tie down the foam for the back.

Make sure that the foam for the back (pink stuff) is super wide, wide enough to fold over the edges of the black horizontal foam. The thing I have found best for securing the top piece of foam is actually shoe goo. Normal glue didn't work well and allowed the foam to lift and break (it also didn't hold its shape which affected the action) after a day of casting and catching fish. A little shoe goo under the lip when you put it down, and some on the sides will hold the top down well and keep it there, in shape, forever.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »

Awesome....have you found this to work in rivers as well or only ocean?

BN

I have heard, second hand, of anglers fishing dry flies on the Harrison for pinks.  I think it was in a magazine article written by Tom Johannesen, but don't quote me on that.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »

Yeah and Bill McMillan wrote about catching coho by waking muddlers on the surface of the Washougal River in Washington. Try that on the Vedder!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

salmonlover

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »

that fly reminds me off scott howells ska-opper. gonna have to try it for the 2015 pink run that theres a whole thread about already ::)