Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour River slide  (Read 18612 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Seymour River slide
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »

Vancouver Sun article

I wonder how this will affect fish passage?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:32:42 PM by clarki »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Seymour River slide
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »

It will be interesting to see what happens with the major rains that are supposed to hit.  Probably a very good thing that they have some control of the water flow from the dam.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »

there was a similar but smaller blockage on the Coquihalla this year and few fish made it past though there was some thought it would be passable in higher water. However at least 100 fish of some 200 below the blockage were captured and moved to the upper river by mid September.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:47:09 PM »

there was a similar but smaller blockage on the Coquihalla this year and few fish made it past though there was some thought it would be passable in higher water. However at least 100 fish of some 200 below the blockage were captured and moved to the upper river by mid September.

This is being reported as quite a significant blockage, enough to raise water level right to the girders of the twin bridges, and creating a large waterfall in the downstream side.  It would be interesting for fisheries experts to scout the slide and assess if any steelhead will be able to get past it and if not, what is the plan for next year's salmon runs? These are already hurting (like the Coq).
Not all those who wander are lost

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:13:40 AM »

there are photos of the Coq blockage  on the BCFF face book page if you want to compare these to the Seymour slide above. There is quite a difference. Is the slide on the Seymour downstream of the hatchery? I'd guess given it's size some attempt to clear it needs to be looked at. The river itself may be able to do this. Interestingly there is sufficient evidence to know a slide near Agassiz blocked the entire Fraser a few thousand years ago but the river cleared this on it's own. However these incidents does show how precarious salmonid habitat is in some of these mountain waterways.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »

Is the slide on the Seymour downstream of the hatchery? I'd guess given it's size some attempt to clear it needs to be looked at. The river itself may be able to do this.

Yes, the slide is quite a distance downstream of the hatchery. The slide occurred at roughly where the "P" parking symbol is on the map. http://www.seymoursalmon.com/findus.php

North Vancouver officials are reported as saying that the river will not be able to "mobilize" the slide debris (due to the house-size rocks)     

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 12:44:47 PM »

Gotta love it  ;D , mother nature at it's best .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

CraftyCoho

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »

Twin bridges this afternoon :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »

And in case you're wondering what the twin bridge looked like before...

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 05:34:51 PM »

And for reference for those who don't know the seymour, the water level is about 20 feet below that bridge usually

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »

On the bright side they are doing trail upgrades for a few years. 

firebird

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 06:29:56 PM »

Actually, this is what it looked like before  ;) This is looking downstream from the site of the current bridge. There used to be two bridges like the one in this photo.

Canuck

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »

I wonder how this will effect the steelhead in this river, as the population is already small.