Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SIMMS Credit Card Info SECURITY BREACH  (Read 2433 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
SIMMS Credit Card Info SECURITY BREACH
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:03:08 AM »

It's all over the web - anyone that purchased from Simms best look over their credit card invoices and call their banks to get new cards ASAP!   

Simms Fishing Products in Bozeman, Montana is notifying customers after their hosting service discovered that malware had been inserted that seemingly captured customers’  name, address, and credit card information, including the credit card number, expiration date, and CVV2 code.  Cards use for purchases made between September 1 and November 6, 2014 may have been compromised.

Simms notes that their unnamed website hosting and support vendor has removed the malware and taken steps to prevent it from being reinstalled.

“To date we have received no reports of actual misuse of any credit card information resulting from the incident,” Weston Fricke, VP of Finance, wrote to affected consumers, in a letter posted to the California Attorney General’s site.

As “an added precaution,” however, Simms offered affected customers one year of identity protection services with  AllClear ID.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Re: SIMMS Credit Card Info SECURITY BREACH
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »

Quote from a US fishing board:

FYI...SIMMS had a credit card breach on their website.

I got a letter in the mail today stating that SIMMS had a breach on their online website. It states the criminals installed malware onto their server which captured names, address, credit card number, expiration date and CVV code and other info. If you bought anything via the SIMMS online website between September and December your card data was likely stolen too and you should keep an eye out for any fraudulent changes.

They state that they are unaware of actual misuse of any of the stolen data but I'm about to email them and report it because my CC company called me yesterday about fraud on my card and shut the card down. I was wondering how/where it got stolen and now I know. 
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.