Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a spey rod and some advice  (Read 10412 times)

tburns

Looking for a spey rod and some advice
« on: November 26, 2014, 05:14:14 PM »

Does anyone have a spey setup or know of where I can grab one for ~$500?  This would be my first spey rod but I'm looking to find something that I won't have to upgrade for the foreseeable future.

Saw a Echo DH a while ago on craigslist that I'm kicking myself for not jumping on.  I've had to miss most of this salmon season instead spending my weekends studying for the CFA so I'm looking to make up for lost time this steelie season.

Edit:

Would also like some advice on what I should be looking for in a spey rod for a beginner. 

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:13:20 PM by tburns »

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Looking for a spey rod and some advice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 05:23:12 PM »

Id go and look on the spey pages classifieds.I only have a redington dually 13 ft 8wt.It isnt bad but isnt extremely good never tried a higher end sage or shuch so can`t give you much info.

tburns

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »

Id go and look on the spey pages classifieds.I only have a redington dually 13 ft 8wt.It isnt bad but isnt extremely good never tried a higher end sage or shuch so can`t give you much info.

I'm keeping an eye out there but the number of different rods can be overwhelming...  I figure I'm looking for anything between 12'6-13'6 and in 7 or 8 weight.  I do not know anything about the rod characteristics I should be looking out for... 

Does anyone have a specific list of a few I should look out for, or a way that I can figure out what suits me best?

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »

are u looking to spend 500 on the rod its self or every thing all togeather

SPEYMAN

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »

Michael and Young sport shop.

tburns

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »

are u looking to spend 500 on the rod its self or every thing all togeather

I'm looking to spend $500 for a whole package.  To me it seems that used is the way to go.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »

I've got a decent reel going cheap if you are interested with that and a visit to Tim at Michael and Young you should be able to get a sweet set up for around that budget. Any of the Echo or TFO sticks are nice to cast and fish. I'd go for a 12'6 or 13' 7 weight for local steelhead fishing.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »

I'm looking to spend $500 for a whole package.  To me it seems that used is the way to go.

check out Fred's Custom Tackle.

Solo packages for under $500, awesome starter combo and excellent warranty/service.
A swung fly is the best fly.

rustybee

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »

Used Echo Spey rod for c$150-200. Echo Ion reel new for $100+taxes. Heads, tips etc. You should be all geared up for no more than $400.

I've got a decent reel going cheap if you are interested with that and a visit to Tim at Michael and Young you should be able to get a sweet set up for around that budget.

Or this.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:44:49 PM by rustybee »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:16:41 PM »

My dad fishes an Amundson 12'6" 8wt, Pflueger President (Trion is cheaper and still a great reel) and then runs Slickshooter running line and a Skagit head. He loves it and has never mentioned wanting to upgrade. Whole outfit bought at Wholesale in Langley for under $500 about 3yrs ago
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 06:44:23 AM »

Redington Dually is going to be a great rod under your budget, and leave you room to pick up a nice cheap 10-12 wt fly reel that will do the trick for a Spey line.

At $249.99 it's a great price, and Redington uses a lot of the same technology as their sister company Sage.

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/dually/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 08:02:45 AM »

Used - often barely used - rods and entire outfits tend to sit on classified boards for weeks with little interest. On the classified section of Flybc.ca there are 3 rods and 1 complete outfit - a Amundson 7/8 as Hook's father uses & asking price is $280 complete though no tips. Tells me 2 things. a) Many anglers by a spey setup and find it's not for them or they have little use for it; b) the market is saturated and buying used is the smart way to go if you want to give this a try.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:04:54 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

tburns

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I've been constantly checking craigslist and speypages like a couple of you have suggested.  I've actually been in contact with a guy on craigslist about a "Rise fishing co" blackwater h2o rod and reel setup.  Combined it will run $350 which seems like a great price.

My only reservation is that the warranty is untransferrable, leaving me high and dry in case of a tip breaking or anything else.  Is this common?  Do you guys have any input on this?

Edit:

I must say as well that while M&Y might be a great shop, the guys at Pacific Angler have always been really helpful to me, getting me setup on my first flyrod, helping me to hook into my first cap coho etc.  If I'm to buy new I think they deserve my business.  As is, I buy all the other stuff from them (fly tying gear, line, leaders etc.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:54:01 AM by tburns »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »

Used - often barely used - rods and entire outfits tend to sit on classified boards for weeks with little interest. On the classified section of Flybc.ca there are 3 rods and 1 complete outfit - a Amundson 7/8 as Hook's father uses & asking price is $280 complete though no tips. Tells me 2 things. a) Many anglers by a spey setup and find it's not for them or they have little use for it; b) the market is saturated and buying used is the smart way to go if you want to give this a try.

Buy bulk T8, T11, T14 and you'll have the only tips you need for winter work. 10-12' in length is what works best on the rod. I actually prefer setups without tips because I have plenty of my own and no need for more

RalphH - do you remember what grain head came in the setup ? my dad runs an SA 520 skagit extreme, 510 Airflo compact also matched very well
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:29:15 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

ajransom

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »

Buy used - spey pages will be your best bet.

A 13' 7 or 8 weight will cover you for pretty much anywhere in bc. I Have an echo DH2 7130 and love it. The TFO deer creek is amazing too. Beulah make great spey rods too.

For $500 you will get a decent set up. If you get some used stuff you will probably be getting an $800 package for $500.