Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favourite tying hooks  (Read 2845 times)

clarkii

• Old Timer
Favourite tying hooks
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »

So just curious what the majority of guys on this site use for tying hooks, and further what percentage and why.
As I bounce back and fourth between a few, I was wondering if there is any difference between them.

Further this could be an excellent resource for people getting into tying.

So I'll start.
Hanak.  I probably tie on around 70+% on Hanak hooks, though this might be changing to more.  I tie all my none stonefly nymphs on the h450bl, and a few on the h400bl.  I uae this hook as with a slotted tungsten bead it rides point up rather then point down.  For caddis patterns I use the h300bl as the profile is nice.  Further im starting to use the h900bl for streamers and I like the 950's for bunny leeches.
Overall the draw to hanak for me is they are super sharp and manafactures barbless, making them better at holding fish then a crimped barb and stronger. I also like the h550 for micro leeches. One issue is they are pricey ($8/25)

20% is on freds sure sharp.  I like the price point and believe them to be good hooks.  Mostly have them for experimental dries which I never tie, but I also like the 2xl streamer hook.

6% is tiemco, as usually its a last minute crap whats at wholesale.   Usually go for the streamer hooks.

3% Mustad.  Go with the caddis curved for chironie hooks.  Price is good.

And the last 1% is gamakatsu.  I use the b10s as a stinger for articulated streamers,  as the shape is good and they are sharp as well.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Favourite tying hooks
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »

Quality costs money and the best are Tiemco and Daiichi. Some years back I bought a huge quantity of Dai-riki on line at wholesale prices and have been working through those. They were mostly intended for the professional tyer's market and I don't intend to buy anymore. All 3 of those are made in Japan and as far as I know there is only one hook maker in Japan.
Mustads have improved a lot over the years and for the price they are a very good buy. FWIW I understand that Mustad's yearly output of hooks for the fly tying market represents about 1 hour or less of their yearly production.

I still have some Eagle Claws and even some Partridge hooks.

So that's what I use Dai-riki, Mustad, Daiichi and Tiemco in about that order. When I got the funds I buy Tiemco but I am on a fixed income right now.

I use gammies & Owners for stingers (intruder) only
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »

TMC 9394 is one of the best all-round hooks for streamers for salmon and trout. Only missed one ho this year with that one (short take), landed everything else, even big chum. Their other streamer hooks r also great. For dries, I really like their 900BL.

Mustad, not so much. Only had negative experiences using their 34007 (lost 2 ho's this year on this) for salmon and their curved scud hooks on the lakes. Don't know if its just some models (or maybe a bad batch?) but Mustad seems to have really poor sharpness and penetration compared to TMC for all the hooks I tried.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »

With Mustads I often give the points a little caress with an EZ lap pocket sharpener. Seldom if ever do that with Tiemcos or Daiichi. I'm not a fan of long shank hooks and don't use anything more than 3xl too often though I have used and like the 79580 which has a down eyed hook. Mustads I have had good success with include the 9271 and 9272 streamer hooks, 3906 and 3906b nymph hooks and the 94840 dry fly hook. I've been buying the signature hooks lately
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.