Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tongue Hook  (Read 2836 times)

bald_seagull

Tongue Hook
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »

Fishing this past tuesday, a nearby teen c&r a chrome wild ho that was badly bleeding from being tongue hooked. later I noticed a chrome fish rolling like it was dying against the oppositie shore. Im wondering what the regs are on wading over and scooping that dying or freshly dead fish up. I looked in the regulations but I dont see anything clear.

'Any legal fish that is deeply hooked,
hooked around the gills or bleeding
should be retained as part of your quota.
If the fish cannot be retained legally,
you can improve its chances for survival
by cutting the leader and
releasing it with the hook
left in'

is what i get from the regs, i didnt see anything about if the fish dies despite revival attempts

anyways we left the fish in the river as neither of us could find anything saying he could of legally retained the fish.

anyone know if in that instance you can retain the fish, my inclination would be no as you would have some guys claiming fish to be dead or badly hooked just to bring some meat home.

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Tongue Hook
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »

No, you could not have retained that wild coho just because it couldn't be revived. It happens occasionally, and as long as you did your best to implement best fish handling practices, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Besides, it's nutrients are being returned to the ecosystem so its not going to go to waste. Something will make use of it whether it be a bird, bear, sturgeon or whatever...

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:03:39 AM »

^ this

G-Ratt

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »

There's an awesome documentary called "Dam Nation" that covers this topic pretty extensively, I found it to be extremely interesting.

http://damnationfilm.com/