Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NAFTA RE FF  (Read 3766 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: NAFTA RE FF
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 11:09:10 PM »

Canada has also been accused of harming wild salmon stocks by allowing viruses from fish farms to spread.

What are these viruses that have been allowed to be spread by fish farms, specifically in BC, that are harming wild salmon stocks, Chris?  What are the things we know about the viruses (such as IHNv) that are endemic to BC waters?  Where (and what species) has there been confirmed presence of an exotic salmonid pathogen introduced to BC waters?  What do we know about the pathology of exotic diseases (i.e. ISA) on farmed Atlantic Salmon and wild Pacific Salmon?  What do we know about the pathology of endemic diseases like IHN on farmed Atlantic Salmon and wild Pacific Salmon?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 04:38:11 AM »

Canada has also been accused of harming wild salmon stocks by allowing viruses from fish farms to spread.

What are these viruses that have been allowed to be spread by fish farms, specifically in BC, that are harming wild salmon stocks, Chris?  What are the things we know about the viruses (such as IHNv) that are endemic to BC waters?  Where (and what species) has there been confirmed presence of an exotic salmonid pathogen introduced to BC waters?  What do we know about the pathology of exotic diseases (i.e. ISA) on farmed Atlantic Salmon and wild Pacific Salmon?  What do we know about the pathology of endemic diseases like IHN on farmed Atlantic Salmon and wild Pacific Salmon?
A lot of questions, maybe we should start another inquiry like Cohen. :P

Oh I forgot, Riddell and Miller are looking into all of this are they not?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »

About the salmon complaint, the government wrote: "We do not intend to engage in or recognize as valid ... any further consideration of this submission."

perhaps this is why Almo is so quiet lately??? 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »

About the salmon complaint, the government wrote: "We do not intend to engage in or recognize as valid ... any further consideration of this submission."

perhaps this is why Almo is so quiet lately???
What about Riddell and Miller's work is it just a waste of time and money too? Where they not given 2 to 3 years to come out with a report?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 04:47:52 PM »

Christopher, good science takes time to be defensible, something Almo did not learn.  R&M have just started their research, give them, true scientists, some time :D
During their research, strong returns of wild and hatchery Pacific salmon are happening, and open net Atlantic farming is happening at the same time .. all in harmony.

Get off this wagon Chris and do the things you do best; advocating for clean rivers, less urban development, and protecting the salmon habitat we have left.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »

A lot of questions, maybe we should start another inquiry like Cohen. :P

Oh I forgot, Riddell and Miller are looking into all of this are they not?

Oh God no...not another inquiry! I think there was some good things that came out of Cohen but until those all those recommendations are either addressed or a good case is made why some are not then I don't see the point. The department has responded to them but its the higher-ups that need to do the communicating and tell people like you what's going to happen and what is going to fall off the table.  Some of those recommendations are being addressed by studies like those mentioned (i.e. Riddell and Miller), but like Dave says that type of work takes time.  It's a multi-year project - not a trip to Superstore in a day, buy some packaged, gutted farmed salmon, and questioned some meat clerk where the farmed salmon came from.

Personally, I think that NAFTA environmental oversight committee has as much teeth nowadays as Bobby Clarke did with the Flyers in the 70s.  That being said the reasons I asked those questions is because perhaps those same questions were asked of those environmentalists (like Morton) who wanted this NAFTA committee to go to bat for them. Cohen's findings run contrary to what Morton's is telling this NAFTA committee.  Instead the government is being accused of brushing off this NAFTA committee when in reality the facts to date do not even support an investigation in the first place, at least in BC that is.

Although a colossal amount of money that could have been spent better somewhere else, the Cohen Inquiry had testimony from a wide range of experts, including a collection of technical reports that addressed the various factors considered with the decline and a final report with findings and recommendation.  However, more importantly, it had participation from various stakeholders (commercial fishing industry, aquaculture industry, First Nations, sport fishing industry, etc.), the general public (public submission to Justice Cohen) and conservation groups who oppose net-pen aquaculture. Industry, government and conservation groups all had their lawyers present and were able to cross examine witnesses. Morton even had her theories on the Fraser Sockeye decline submitted as an exhibit. All this has to be kept in mind when people like Morton start claiming national injustice.