Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about freezing and smoking  (Read 4426 times)

rgm

Question about freezing and smoking
« on: October 31, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has ever frozen a fish first, then thawed at a later date and did the brine and smoke. Will freezing the fish first affect the whole process negatively? Thanks for your input.

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Question about freezing and smoking
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »

Yes all the time. In fact I think it's recommended to freeze first to kill any parasites as the smoking process does not get the meat hot enough to kill parasites.

Animal Chin

Re: Question about freezing and smoking
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »

+1. I always freeze my fish first.

I thaw in fridge for a day or two, brine and then smoke or make gravlax out of it. I freeze with skin on but get rid of it before the brine/cure, but that's just the way I do it. Excellent results. I'm going to try sashimi with this mint coho I have after a week, maybe two, in the deep freeze.

I've also read that if you vacuum seal, you want to cut a small slit in the bag as you're thawing to get air in there so bacteria doesn't build up in airless environment. I never did this and am fine but will likely start doing it from now on.

I have a chest freezer. I think you have to keep it frozen in a household/kitchen fridge-freezer for longer to ensure all parasites are dead.