Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: egg paterns  (Read 4719 times)

Ry the fly guy

egg paterns
« on: October 30, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »

I need some help with how to fish egg patterns. On the river I fish on no strike indicators are aloud and no splitshot or puddys. Im targeting trout feeding on salmon eggs Brown, Cutthroat and Rainbow.
Thanks.

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: egg paterns
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:27:21 PM »

Several options, i'll start with the multi option path first.

1. use a weighted egg pattern.  All you have to do is put a tungsten bead on the front or sometimes you can do a mcflyfoam egg around a tungsten bead.

2a. Fish like you have an indicator, only using your fly line to keep the fly off the bottom.
2b. Tightline the egg pattern by either high sticking or euro nymph strategies.  Now I am assuming no line attachments are allowed (BC's definition of fly fishing).  Make a leader using around 15lb Ultragreen, I think I have around 10 feet or so.  Then from there I go to about 2 feet of .09mm Hanak bicolour indicator tippet (umpqua makes it as well, but 10lb gold stren will work just as well and is cheaper) which is known as a sighter.  After that I have around 6-8 feet of 5x tippet.   Now I use a 10' 3# designed for this type of fishing, but a 9' 6# will work but not as well.  if you have a 5# or 4# in 9-10' it should work well.  Note casting is a pain as it is sort of a lob cast.  Cast upstream, allowing the sighter to touch the water.  from here bring the line up to form a tightline with only the 6-8' of tippet in the water.  Keep the rod tip ahead of the line and lead it through the water.

3.  Use a non weighted egg pattern.
4. swing the fly using a sinking line
note this might cause accidental salmon snagging...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »

I tie eggs in three configurations

Un weighted
weighted using only a tungsten bead
weighted with a tungsten bead AND wrapping the shank with lead tape, cover tape with coloured floss (I use fluorescent green a lot) then tie your wool egg over it all.

Tying the bead and tape ones take a bit of practice to get your egg nice and round or as close as possible. I usually snug the wool down on all 4 sides cutting them individually and then doing a final cut to make them perfect

here is a pic of the bead/tape ones in my sink (with & without my camera flash to show effect)

I myself enjoy fishing them under an Indicator so I can see any subtle takes which may be missed by fishing without one. I fish the heavily weighted ones 90% of the time because there is no need to add more weight with them
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

whereismyfloat

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:24:42 AM »

I bury a tungsten bead inside and also use lead tape at times. It's white poly over Mcfly foam. Can be fished Euro style as Clarkii says.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:27:16 AM by whereismyfloat »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 08:57:38 AM »

Interesting idea though I suspect a bead actually adds an attraction in the form of light and flash the fish like.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »

Thanks for the help everyone, I went out yesterday but ended up getting skunked however at the end of the day a really helpful angler gave me a few weighted egg flies and taught me how to high stick. I had to leave shortly after that and neither of us caught fish at that point.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 11:20:56 PM »

It ain't the roe bro'

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 11:24:13 PM »

I tie eggs in three configurations

Un weighted
weighted using only a tungsten bead
weighted with a tungsten bead AND wrapping the shank with lead tape, cover tape with coloured floss (I use fluorescent green a lot) then tie your wool egg over it all.

Tying the bead and tape ones take a bit of practice to get your egg nice and round or as close as possible. I usually snug the wool down on all 4 sides cutting them individually and then doing a final cut to make them perfect

Hook, what kind of hook and in what size are these? Also what size of tungsten bead do you use?
It ain't the roe bro'