Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Curly tail jigs for coho  (Read 13047 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Curly tail jigs for coho
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:39:58 PM »

I've had kind of a planes, trains, automobile season for coho, catching them on flies, roe, spinners and spoons, however I had a first last week by catching 2 on this curly tail jig.

The jig head is more than 25 years old and has been sitting in my tacklebox waiting for a use since I stopped fishing for walleye. The curly tail is probably as old. It came as a double tail but I ripped one off.

Question: have other members also used curly tail jigs? Obviously a couple of coho liked red, but I'm curious what other colours members have used. I've heard white, chartreuse, yellow/black...

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Curly tail jigs for coho
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »

Love fishing for coho with them. I like to add a skirt of marabou or schalappen at the top then a curly tail. My favourite combos are mainly variations of blue and olive with flash. Tails include, blue, olive, black, chartreuse and pink. I like to tie marabou jigs and twitch them too in blue, olive, pink, purple and black in various combos. I think I have some pictures on here if you look through my posts.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:06:45 PM »

So deadly...

When nothing else is working, this will pick at least one up.
Chum love em twitched too.

Tied jigs... I love a chartreuse/pink rabbit fur combo with some flash in the tail.

Last year I easily put 100 coho to the beach with jigs. This year I've only fished jigs 2 or 3 trips and picked up around 20. Super effective if used right, under proper conditions, and over picky fish.

Pin-nook

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:53:58 AM »

Picture that jig 3-4 times that size with marabou, that's what locals up North use on coho! Also saw a guy with a little spinning rod and a similar jig/curly tail in chartreuse hook a large steelhead on the Capilano.  Jigs in general work, you just have to have confidence in what you are using.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »

I have the feeling that for coho, they are better twitched directly, than drifted under a float.  Would I be correct?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:49:34 PM »

I have the feeling that for coho, they are better twitched directly, than drifted under a float.  Would I be correct?

Yes.
Yesterday for example, I tried putting one under a float for approx 20 mins with no action at all. Switched to twitching and got a coho 2nd cast on the exact same jig.

jon5hill

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »

Picture that jig 3-4 times that size with marabou, that's what locals up North use on coho! Also saw a guy with a little spinning rod and a similar jig/curly tail in chartreuse hook a large steelhead on the Capilano.  Jigs in general work, you just have to have confidence in what you are using.

I think I may have been there that day.... tail out of the cable pool, maybe 2-3 years ago?

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »

Yes.
Yesterday for example, I tried putting one under a float for approx 20 mins with no action at all. Switched to twitching and got a coho 2nd cast on the exact same jig.

Have you tried it under a float with slightly faster water and a slightly longer leader? I would assume the head weight is more than enough to get it a good depth but maybe float drag slows the action down.
Speaking of jigs though, I wonder if anyones tried those super hoochies on the river, I've only ever trolled those off a down rigger in the middle of the ocean but the ones I saw have a small blade in the front, I wonder if those would ever be worth chucking, I don't have any myself.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:39:01 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:54:11 PM »

Curly tail jigs rock.   So cheap and effective.

This year spiced it up a bit and have been mostly using this.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/114875/cabelas-action-twin-tail-grubs-per-25-reviews/reviews.htm?page=2

So awesome to watch coho, rainbow and cutthroat chase them down.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »

I've spent very little time fishing jigs but have had a very poor coho season so far on flies, roe, spinners and spoons that have all done well for me in the past, so it's a good time for me to learn something new.  What kind of water are you looking for for fishing jigs?  Can anyone point me to some good resources on jig techniques for salmon in general?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »

There's a nice Sportsfishing BC episode on twitching jigs you should look up.

bald_seagull

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »

ive caught 100% of my walleye on a jighead but
jigs had never crossed my mind for salmon
last sunday i brought 12 jigs chum fishing never landed one before quite crazy teeth on them
2 bent rods jigs i purchased 10 i tied modeling them in different colours brown and orange and red/olive work the best for me
fish after fish from 7-1030 until i had lost my jigs to the fish or to the rocks on bottom
gotta say ill never go salmon fishing without them again as the are relitively cheap and its fun to catch fish on your own ties
i fished under a float, landed 9 out of 30 oe so before i ran out of jigs as the water was fast and they kept dieseling downstream on me i just couldnt hold them

im a little perplexed as my palomar knot attached to the jigs kept breaking instead of the double davy thats tied to the swivel
do palomars not work with floro? i only staryed using the davy this year and before i used a cinch or improved cinch which always failed first

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:26:02 PM by bald_seagull »

pbish

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »

http://www.bentrods.ca/rod-report/

Check this link there is tying info in the video

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »

You don't need Fluoro for chum fishing as they are quite aggressive.  Fluoro can become brittle if you don't lubricate it enough when tying your knot.

ive caught 100% of my walleye on a jighead but
jigs had never crossed my mind for salmon
last sunday i brought 12 jigs chum fishing never landed one before quite crazy teeth on them
2 bent rods jigs i purchased 10 i tied modeling them in different colours brown and orange and red/olive work the best for me
fish after fish from 7-1030 until i had lost my jigs to the fish or to the rocks on bottom
gotta say ill never go salmon fishing without them again as the are relitively cheap and its fun to catch fish on your own ties
i fished under a float, landed 9 out of 30 oe so before i ran out of jigs as the water was fast and they kept dieseling downstream on me i just couldnt hold them

im a little perplexed as my palomar knot attached to the jigs kept breaking instead of the double davy thats tied to the swivel
do palomars not work with floro? i only staryed using the davy this year and before i used a cinch or improved cinch which always failed first

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »

Curly tail jigs rock.   So cheap and effective.

This year spiced it up a bit and have been mostly using this.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/114875/cabelas-action-twin-tail-grubs-per-25-reviews/reviews.htm?page=2

So awesome to watch coho, rainbow and cutthroat chase them down.
So you've been using twin tail grubs.   Interesting....  I never woulda thunk.