Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishon Floats  (Read 3890 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Fishon Floats
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »

I bought these at Fred's a couple weeks ago.  Just wondering if anyone knows if you can get them at other tackle shops since I'm not in Chilliwack all the time.

Thanks.

lovethewater

Re: Fishon Floats
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »

Are those significantly different from clear drift floats?  They have those at Pacific Angler, Berry's..

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »

Thanks.

I like them because they have a slimmer profile than the cleardrifts.  They are about as close to drennans as you can get at half the price.  The plastic is more flexible and less prone to cracking on impact.  I have used other drennan copies and the quality control was just not there.  Some leaked on my first drift.  I had to test them out in a sink before I went fishing as the failure rate was about 50%.

So far we have had no problems with these. 

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »

I like them because they have a slimmer profile than the cleardrifts.  They are about as close to drennans as you can get at half the price.  The plastic is more flexible and less prone to cracking on impact.  I have used other drennan copies and the quality control was just not there.  Some leaked on my first drift.  I had to test them out in a sink before I went fishing as the failure rate was about 50%.

Interesting, I have not noticed these floats before.

I use Cleardrifts and I retire several a season because they start leaking due to no obvious incidents. Will definitely give these a try if I can find them. Any idea if they come in any other sizes? Did a quick search but whoever makes them doesnt seem to have much of an online presence...

VA7DDP

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »

Clear drift now has 3 models. The original, big water, and sleeker.

They have improved on the build quality too.

Picture at this link: http://pacificangler.ca/blog/pacific-anglers-friday-fishing-report-october-24th-2014/

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »

I recently bought a Cleardrift Big Water Series 25 gram float. Very little discernible difference from the older model except for a small white line at the bottom of the chartreuse paint and a small knob at the top

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »

I also noticed Cleardrift had three models now on my last visit to Army & Navy. The "sleeker" is a very close drennan copy and probably what you would be after Stratocaster. They are the ones I would buy myself
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:12:11 PM »

I also noticed Cleardrift had three models now on my last visit to Army & Navy. The "sleeker" is a very close drennan copy and probably what you would be after Stratocaster. They are the ones I would buy myself

Thanks.  I'll check them out next time I'm there. 

fisherforever

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 08:18:20 AM »

Check out the Uncle Freds floats, they are available at Chilliwack Dart & Tackle and most shops in the LML. Fraser Valley Trout hatcheries use them in the 11 gram size for their Learn to Fish program. I've been using them for 3 years and they are excellent. They are available in different sizes and styles,11 - 35 grams pikers and chubby.