Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: After you kill your catch.  (Read 8741 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: After you kill your catch.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 07:13:50 AM »

this makes no sense.

water's thermal conductivity is higher than air's (0.6 vs 0.025 W/(m·K)), which means heat moves 24 times easier to and from water. You can check this out here. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

Water makes your bare feet colder when it as  say at 10 degrees than air at the same temperature because of this.

Sorry, I did just edit the original statement to replace the second use of "water" with "air":

heat energy (usually measured as calories or joules) transfer far easier from water to other object easier and faster than it can from water air.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:22:04 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sugartooth

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »

I would reconsider putting fish in bag before submerging it.  It would be difficult to remove all the air thus the air pockets will trap heat especially if it is sunny.

It's actually not hard to remove all the air.  Put fish in the bag. Submerge the bag in the water keeping the open end above the water. All the air is forced out by the water pressure. Tie the open end tight.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »

So sunday I had 4 fish that had been dead for 10 hours before they made it to the freezer. Would it be stupid to keep them now?
The Bigger The Better!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »

I always use a burlap sack and it works great plus it makes carrying the fish must easier.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »

So sunday I had 4 fish that had been dead for 10 hours before they made it to the freezer. Would it be stupid to keep them now.

Absolutely no problem unless they were under a heat lamp. I agree its best to get them as cold as possible as soon as possible, but I would suspect that in a blind taste test practically no one could tell the difference between a fish handled perfectly vs one that was lying at the rivers edge for a days fishing trip.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »

So sunday I had 4 fish that had been dead for 10 hours before they made it to the freezer. Would it be stupid to keep them now?
Darn right it would be stupid to keep them Ryan ... bring em' over so I can take care of them for you :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 07:03:35 PM »

This august I was sockeye harvesting (only went twice and had enough) and One day it was 25 degrees out and probably about 20 +degree water temperature and I had put my sockeye in the water along shore for about 6 hours and it was fine. Delicious infact.

Its not going to just "go bad". More than anything this idea of fish going bad is coming from picky people who are prissy about these sort of things. Youre more than likely fine at this time of year putting it in a bag in the water all day. Its basically like putting it in the fridge.

well what ever you think works for you that's fine. I just provided the best answer I could based on my experience, what I've been taught over the years and what I know. Smaller fish will definitely go bad in 6 hours or so if not protected from the effect of heat and sun.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Ambassador

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 07:38:47 PM »

To each their own - but I don't like the idea of eating fish that has been sitting in the sun all day - even if it is a bit cooler outside. I usually bring a couple bottles of water with me that I freeze the night before. Always have a cold drink of water, and throw the other in with my fish to keep them a bit colder and safer.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

TimL

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 12:12:44 AM »

While bottom fishing for smaller saltwater species (flounders, greenling, sea perch) from shore, I usually bleed my catch in a bucket of cold sea water which I then keep in the shade. After bleeding,  I place them in a portable cooler bag (with a shoulder strap), in which I also pack my bait and a few freezer packs frozen the night before. I tend to hike for a short distance between fishing spots so it's a convenient and easy way to transport my catch. I then clean my fish at the end of the trip and they still taste fine. For larger fish (like salmon), which I still have relatively less experience with, what I have done so far is dispatch and bleed the fish in water like what I have done with smaller fish. I then store the fish in cold sea/river water before cleaning and then transferring to the cooler in the car at the end of the trip. Fish still tasted great.

Animal Chin

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:38 AM »

I then store the fish in cold sea/river water before cleaning and then transferring to the cooler in the car at the end of the trip. Fish still tasted great.

I do the same thing. As I understand it, the fish have to be immersed in water to bleed out properly or the blood coagulates. I see way more people not bleeding their fish.

Now pinks. I agree, next year I'm putting them on ice ASAP. The water is way too warm to have them submersed for a day of fishing.

BTW, does cutting out it's gills bleed out as well as just tearing/cutting the gills and letting moving water through them?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:58:00 AM by Animal Chin »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 06:05:50 AM »

I just knock them on the head and then cut or tear the gills. The blood usually comes out in a forceful spurt. Other may do different as I have heard varying reports on how necessary it is to bleed out a salmon or trout. For me it's more of a cleanliness thing as there less of a mess when I fillet the fish at home.

ALBA CHIEFISH

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »

In terms of preserving the roe, would killing then submersing the fish in the river allow for water to penetrate the cavity and damage the roe?

ChumChaser

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 10:42:25 AM »

After a fish is killed,  if the fish is still whole (hasn't been gutted yet)  water will not enter the cavity and will not affect the roe when submerged. I always put my fish in the river after bonking and bleeding.  I have never ended up with water in the stomach cavity.

In terms of preserving the roe, would killing then submersing the fish in the river allow for water to penetrate the cavity and damage the roe?

:)

TacoChris

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »

My experience. You can often tell if you have done a poor job from spits in fillets and discoloration in the meat. If the skin is wrinkled that is a poor sign.  It is much easier to fillet a fish that has been kept on ice than one that is soft or bent in half.

Best practice large cooler filled with crushes ice or cubes. Fish cleaned immediately and packed in ice with blood and slime allowed to drain to the bottom much as some of the commercial boats do.

My normal method is to bleed and store fish in a kill bag with as much ice or frozen packs as one can handle.

I will bleed and leave a fish outside if the air is cold enough for a short time. I will never put fish in water although leaving it in sealed bag would seem like a good idea if the water is cold enough.

I once made the mistake of leaving a fish in a pool of water in August and had the flesh melt off the bottom after a couple of hours.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 11:12:37 AM »

This year we've started eating nearly all our fish as sashimi. I can tell you, with 100% confidence, I know right away if I have left them too long at this point. It may not matter cooked, but eating it raw, it needs to be handled properly, or it comes out rather gross and it IS noticeable.

This year, anything left over an hour after killing it without ice, went straight into a freezer bag labelled smoker fish. This was even up until a week ago, on a rainy day at around 10C, and the fish were kept in the water. Even if the fish were identical looking, I could tell which one I killed first and let sit, and also which side was down in the water, and which was out of the water. If it gets too warm, the meat will start separating, even if the fish is a bullet and otherwise has "firm" meat.

I now have a cooler in the back of the truck, and if I'm close enough, I'll quickly clean the fish and run up to the truck to throw it in the cooler. I always buy those Costco water bottle packs, and once I'm done drinking the bottles, I'll fill em 3/4 full of water and turn them into ice packs. One bottle on the inside of the fish's cavity, and a few bottles surrounding the fish, made a considerable difference in the meat as far as I could tell.