Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ethical question...  (Read 5022 times)

ajransom

Ethical question...
« on: October 16, 2014, 07:33:57 PM »

So, not out fishing much lately, but thought an ethical discussion might be fun...

How do you define "low holing"? If your working down a run and spey fishing for example, what do you consider the ethical distance that you can enter a run below another angler?

Obviously this depends on the river/run/crowd etc, but assuming its a relatively uncrowded river...

Ive always had a rule that I would never enter below another angler on the same run, and would always ask permission to enter a run abover someone if we were working downstream. On rivers like the Vedder, this would mean your really limiting your options (hence why I dont fish the Vedder much at all).

What do you guys think?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Ethical question...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »

During salmon season it's all fair game on busy rivers. It's rare to see many fly guys on busy rivers like the vedder.

Always ask permission if I don't see a guy moving down. If he's moving I always just start at the top. If it's buddies, I just do whatever I want, lol.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:47:56 PM »

I agree with FlyTech

I generally work a river faster than most people. So I work around them and try to be out of sight quick so there is never really confrontation if someone does happen to get all uppity about the hole they are in. Lol
3 steps 3 casts to work any river is all ya need so its pretty quick
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:18:40 AM »

In my experience I have seldom if ever had another angler get 'uppity' if I ask about fishing below them. Usually they are accommodating or even jokingly friendly; a response such as "sure go ahead, someone has to catch something!" is common.

I will usually advise an angler who wants to move below me if I am working down a run. I just ask them to start above me and I am moving downstream.

It's all a matter of context of course. On crowded waters there may be no point. Sometimes it makes more sense just to stay put and not fish a rotation. Salmon are usually moving steadily upstream so moving around  a lot it`s usually necessary.

Everyone needs to just concentrate on getting along and having a good time, not blindly following some set of rules.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:13:52 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »

So, not out fishing much lately, but thought an ethical discussion might be fun...

How do you define "low holing"? If your working down a run and spey fishing for example, what do you consider the ethical distance that you can enter a run below another angler?

Obviously this depends on the river/run/crowd etc, but assuming its a relatively uncrowded river...

Ive always had a rule that I would never enter below another angler on the same run, and would always ask permission to enter a run abover someone if we were working downstream. On rivers like the Vedder, this would mean your really limiting your options (hence why I dont fish the Vedder much at all).

What do you guys think?

I don't think your question is ethical.

The river is small and there are a lot of fishermen. Guys come and go all the time. Nobody owns the space above or below you in a run. If you want to ask questions to fish somewhere - go for it. Be prepared to get a negative response - most will be positive but some might not be too nice. There are no rules out there just don't get too close to someone in a run because the guy might turn out to be a side caster and your day might be a little uncomfortable when the next guy steps in and cozies up to you.

Personally I tend to stick to flyfishing so I can fish skinny water until I see an open run where some goof doesn't try shred up your fly line with his gear.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:22:46 AM »

Just a side note. If a person actually studies ethics as theoretical or practical topic you'll find that ethics is not a set of rules. These days good ethics is making the best decision in a particular situation based on a specific context. What's the best decision? Hard to know but usually is what's best for all stakeholders and values involved.  Ethics is not what most people would do in a particular situation. People who try to behave in an ethical fashion or make ethical decisions seldom win popularity contests.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

adecadelost

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 03:06:13 PM »

Wow mid October and we're already into a low-holing question  ;D ;D

In my books if someone is actively moving through a run you start at the top above them and follow them down.  If they've posted up and aren't moving then i have no problems working around them.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »

Wow mid October and we're already into a low-holing question  ;D ;D

In my books if someone is actively moving through a run you start at the top above them and follow them down.  If they've posted up and aren't moving then i have no problems working around them.

Which happens pretty much more then 100% of the time in places like the vedder, specially if someone happens to hook into a fish, the entire river ends up crowding around that same spot in hopes of more fish, not really understanding the behavior of fish. But people there love to work a hole till its barren.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.