Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any one catch coho on a muddler minnow?  (Read 11666 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Any one catch coho on a muddler minnow?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »

I have got coho on a few different pink flies

pink rolled muddlers
pink California Neals
silver body, purple marabou tail, pink rabbit wing - more for dirtier water

just keep in mind that pink doesn't work often but on the days it does it's usually the best producer. Pink has never worked on the Vedder, only north side rivers for me.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »

any dyed item has to rinsed several times & very completely or it will leech dye onto any other fly or jig in your box. That makes a hell of a mess, ruins other flies in the box and it's why I don't do much of that myself. Rit is as prone to this as any product though my overall experience is limited. I don't believe plastic and similar chenilles will take dye. Color in such materials is set right into the material when it made. Overall it makes more sense to go to a shop and buy some appropriate flies (if you don't tie your own) rather than to dye the few on hand. For me bead or cone headed olive wooly buggers with plastic or krystal chenille  or UV Ice dub bodies and some flashabou style material in the tail have caught me more coho than all other patterns I have fished combined.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:56:44 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »

Don't even need to dye materials to have them bleed...I've had several reds and greens bleed out into my white flies when marabou and rabbit are around.  Especially the reds...

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 12:32:16 AM »

I hear ya Clarkii, like I said before its happened to one of my favorite flies, I can't even find anymore nor how to tie it myself it was given to me ><
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 06:04:02 AM »

yeah even commercially sold tying materials or flies may bleed colours. Reds are the worst in my expereince. It's gotten much better over the last 30 years.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »

I hear ya Clarkii, like I said before its happened to one of my favorite flies, I can't even find anymore nor how to tie it myself it was given to me ><

What was the original colour scheme? Further what does it look like?

Question three does it still produce well with the bleed ink?  If so ignore one and two.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »

I took a picture of the fly, I actually haven't used it at all since it that black got a slight bleed to it, I tried making one very similar to the style but it doesn't seem to work nearly as good as the first one did.

The pink one with the big black blotch on it, was the poor soul who got to close to a a couple store bought wooly buggers from Fred's
And the purple and pink one is the one I tried to make myself to see if I could get something close.  But it hasn't worked for me yet or anything ;/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:16:11 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

ajransom

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »

I took a picture of the fly, I actually haven't used it at all since it that black got a slight bleed to it, I tried making one very similar to the style but it doesn't seem to work nearly as good as the first one did.

The pink one with the big black blotch on it, was the poor soul who got to close to a a couple store bought wooly buggers from Fred's
And the purple and pink one is the one I tried to make myself to see if I could get something close.  But it hasn't worked for me yet or anything ;/

Those look like nice steelhead flies!

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 07:13:08 PM »

Thanks!
One of them is a favorite for sure! If I can find a good time to hunt down some steelies, I am gonna give the purple one a shot again see if maybe I have better luck.
As for pink woolies, probably won't be super effective but give them a shot anyway, worse case like I said, if they don't produce nad haven't produced try dying them for fun see what you come up with and give it a try you'd be surprised.
I remember trolling in the ocean w/ the gramps and we had zero luck with our usual herring (dogs kept snatching them up) and hooches did almost nothing so he dug up some yard he used to tie up the rods and tried it, lol... red wool with a red tinted hook and, we did great. Was a great way to salvage the last hour.
Heck, I spent the morning today making some penny lures like I said on some Captain Quinn videos, when trout season rolls around I'll see what kinda damage I can do trolling in Buntzen Lake :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:19:14 PM by A Frayed Knot »

koifish

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »

Hahaha I love captain Quinn!  Those trout are definitely penny pinchers I was making some till I lost the ones I made I found some nice shiny pennys but I got to  find some more

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 11:46:27 PM »

Some of his videos are very inspiring like the "Just Fishing" documentary he did, its only 20 minutes but its enough to make you think.