Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any one catch coho on a muddler minnow?  (Read 11676 times)

koifish

Any one catch coho on a muddler minnow?
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:06:07 AM »

Any one catch a coho on  a muddler minnow around this time of the year?         I read up its a good way to catch coho on the vedder but  want to know your opinion?

mcallagan

Re: Any one catch coho on a muddler minnow?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »

Not really a Muddler Minnow but I have had good experiences with Rolled Muddlers on the Harrison.
Close to the same fly but without the wings.

colin6101

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »

Yup, have caught quite a few on various muddler patterns.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »

Rolled muddlers and xmas trees are in my top rotation  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:30 PM »

If it works for cutties it should work for coho.

That being said I've only caught one coho, and it was on an intruder in mid-december....

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »

Only Rolled Muddlers myself. Mostly a Rolled Mickey Muddler pattern, I think thats what it was called. It's got a bit of a yellow sorta wing in it.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »

Most people in the Fv use a rolled muddler. Color variations are also good - gold with wood duck wing, chartreuse, blue as well as the standard silver with pearl or grey mallard. Tie them larger than for cutthroat - #6 & #8 and sparse. A sparse muddler or marabou muddler would likely be as effective.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 07:13:09 PM »

Most people in the Fv use a rolled muddler. Color variations are also good - gold with wood duck wing, chartreuse, blue as well as the standard silver with pearl or grey mallard. Tie them larger than for cutthroat - #6 & #8 and sparse. A sparse muddler or marabou muddler would likely be as effective.

I tie the standard deer hair type and then I do them with a rabbit wing in place of the mallard. Its great for when there is a bit of color in the water, trick is to still make the wing quite short so the hair itself is the same length as the hook. I think the bit of hide is maybe 1/4" in length
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

koifish

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 08:03:40 PM »

Thanks for the help!  But I had the most luck on Micky Finns for cohos and springs I even had a steelie on it. but the hooks I used where to small they kept getting bent when I got a fish on so it kept escaping. I found a perfect honey spot on the vedder last year it's by the KW bridge but not underneath the bridge you have to walk in the water not to far little less then knee   deep but I wouldn't do that again I got scared almost tripped. I was watching a guy fish there with roe and within 5 mins he and his buddy had1 coho each so next day I went there  I had like 4 cohos on seen them jump and a spring
This  is from last year so don't get excited guys :D
Tight lines guys!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »

I found a perfect honey spot on the vedder last year it's by the KW bridge but not underneath the bridge you have to walk in the water not to far little less then knee   deep but I wouldn't do that again I got scared almost tripped. I was watching a guy fish there with roe and within 5 mins he and his buddy had1 coho each so next day I went there  I had like 4 cohos on seen them jump and a spring
This  is from last year so don't get excited guys :D
Tight lines guys!

next time can you put a sign on the bank in that spot so I can find it next time I'm up there?  :o
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »

I tie the standard deer hair type and then I do them with a rabbit wing in place of the mallard. Its great for when there is a bit of color in the water, trick is to still make the wing quite short so the hair itself is the same length as the hook. I think the bit of hide is maybe 1/4" in length

marabou works well for coho - it's one reason lots of people use and recommend a wooly bugger.

koifish

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 11:59:59 PM »

What about pink wolly buggers? I got only pink

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »

Not sure but you can always change the color on the buggers, with food coloring, or easter egg dye if you got any kicking around (if you have kids), which actually now that I think about it, is probably the same thing.  ::)

Anyway, depending on how "pink" they are, you'd simply just soak them in a darker dye for a period of time. You can't make primary colors. But you could probably get something close to brown by dying it (since white + red = pink) you can only really go darker. Best best a black.

Kind of a unique/cheap way to solve the problem I think, also you can mess with white already tied flies and get some interesting patterns from dying flies.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »

I've never caught a coho on a pink fly of any pattern. Dying a fly already tied may not work - most artificial materials won't take dye plus any dye applied has to be set. Microwave or vinegar solutions are the usual method. Don't put fish hooks in the microwave!

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »

You don't need to microwave it just needs to be heated but there are solutions that will allow for applying dies to any materials. Most synthetics will take dyes rather well, with some of my Maribou jigs, I've had great success obviously because of the nature of materials but for the tougher stuff like some wooly buggers that which usually contain Maribou, Chenille and the Saddle Hackle, as well as the wire.

Anyway there are a couple easy, safe ways to do it. Also don't plan to re dye the same fly all the time, you'll cause the materials deteriorate.

1) Rit is a great product.
2) KoolAid (which is why I've stopped drinking it, but then again as a kid who knew better?!)
3) Acid Dyes (Dharma Acid Dyes)

#1 Rit is pretty nice. Its about $4 a bottle which should last you forever, because its not like you are dying all the time.
#2 Is fairly obvious, if you got kids you'll probably have it around. But its only about $0.20 in the grocer? Trouble is you won't get much of a color selection.
#3 only requires hot water, its not gonna harm already tied flies. I have had access to this product via friends but you can order it and probably pick it up at walmart I am sure or any fabric place.

That or keep it simple and just buy more flies :P

You shouldn't have an issue with fading either, make sure you give it some reasonable time to dry. I usually throw mine above the furnace, for a day or two or till I am satisfied it's set well. you have to experiment a little with it, but its kinda a fun. I came across this when my favorite steelhead fly got hit with black splotches, something I had bled on to the fly and well...yeah >< kinda mad, but now its a show piece anyway, memento to my first steelie ever lol