Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need advice for good spot tidal fraser.  (Read 3939 times)

FishNewb

Need advice for good spot tidal fraser.
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »

Hi folks

Looking for advice for catching bigger fish without having to drive hours. I was out this sunday at Imperial landing and along Dyke rd in richmond. Fish around noon to 4 and didn't catch anything. Went today on the North arm of fraser at Burnaby fraser foreshore from 11am-2pm and reeled in a few Pike minnows.
I have been using spinners and spoons for the most part and didn't catch anything with this method. I know that this isnt at the most ideal incoming tide time.
Are there other spots that are more productive? Few posts mentioning Derby reach and Glen Valley, are they any better?
I have heard many people referring to the vedder. Its an hour away but willing to drive there if its worth it. However, I dont have waders, not sure if that is an issue there.
I'm new to fishing in BC, any advice is welcomed
Thanks for reading.

Aurora

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:14:57 AM by Aurora »

TimL

wizard

Re: Need advice for good spot tidal fraser.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »

too many quiet spots get turned into gong shows full of garbage and poaching by people who cannot help but telling others where they catch fish. seen it happen and continue to see it too often.  with poaching/beaking at an all time high, folks like myself cringe whenever they see "where do I go" and what not posts.

best advice I could give is to stick to a spot and learn everthing you can about it;what's the best tide to fish it, where snags are, where fish hold etc, etc... there are many good spots to fish around the area you fished, learn them inside and out.  just because you didn't catch anything one day doesn't mean you won't on any other given day.  fishing is hot and slow no matter where you go, and you may just find yourself wasting a lot of gas for the same outcome.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »

For fishing in the tidal portion of the Fraser River, I recommend the following link.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/tidal_fraser_river.html

There aren't "good" spots along the Tidal Fraser River, as all of the spots can either be productive or otherwise. Productivity is highly influenced by the tide. Some spots are better at high tides, while others may only produce when the tide is going out. The locations provided in the above link provide some hints on when bites can be found, but ultimately it's up to the angler to do the leg work and find out the key to this success. Personally I've recorded my trip results for the Tidal Fraser River in the past 18 years. That information helps me to determine when I should be fishing a particular spot. Time of the year, tidal differences, more effective techniques used are all features you should note when assessing a spot. You're not going to be able to figure this out after one trip.

The Vedder River is a tributary of the Fraser River. You'll need a freshwater fishing licence if you decide to fish there.

Good luck!

Archer

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:12:30 PM »

I live in Langley and venture to the vedder often. Its a world class fishing river. Go explore it! You will find a ton of spots. Now till next spring the water level is lower and crystal clear. I just bought waders on amazon for $59 to make the vedder and stave more usable but a good set of hiking boots will do from lots of areas. Right now Chum are flowing thru the Stave River, go twitch a jig or float some wool. Coho in the Bedder right now, along with good sized Dolly Vardon and Rainbows. December to April the Steelhead fill the vedder.

FishNewb

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »

thanks for all the helpful advice. I have been reading the links, lots of good info fro Rod. Also, I always follow regulations and try my best to leave the areas I fish as I found them.

barklee

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 02:30:01 AM »

try the other side of north arm barry bait side, like Rod said tides play a key role in this area. You said bigger fish? with proper gear you can catch sturgeon in there as well

the tidal fraser is quite dependant on tide but also if you compare the size of the river say at New West versus the vedder even though all the fish travel through, the tidal part is much wider