Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar Fishing the upper Fraser...need some info  (Read 3421 times)

Silver

Bar Fishing the upper Fraser...need some info
« on: September 29, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »

I'm very interested in bar fishing from shore. I set up a rod to try while I was flossing for sockeye last weekend and here is the result:
I set the rig up exactly like the videos, and tried the 3 top performing spin & glows for one hour each...nothing.
Then I tried one less common color that was recommended by Fred's, with the recommended scent, and 10 minutes in the water a fish hit.
I made a rod holder with 1/2 steel bar and pounded 3 of the 4 feet into the gravel. The rod was defecting 2 feet back and forth, the wiggle nearly loosened the holder from the ground, the holder flexed, and the fish bent the steel bar over a bit...I thought I was going to loose the works in the river. The rod holder is now shaped like a banana!
Anyway, I was too far away and the fish got off before I got to it. It did make a huge splash first, and I saw a glimpse of silver and white...I'm totally hooked on this style of fishing.

Questions:

1) Assuming this was a big Spring, how big can they get in the river, and how likely are you to catch one in this manner? I like this type of relaxed, watch and wait fishing.
Also, when do you fish for them? I believe the late run is over mid October?

2) I read somewhere that you can increase the bite by adding roe to your hook. Is bait allowed, I thought there might be a bait ban during the coho season, and to protect wild steelhead? Please advise, I really can't find specific information with location and times. Also, springs will be the only fish to strike this type of set up, correct? So why would a bait restriction matter with bar rigging.

3)Are springs everywhere in the river, or do they only have certain 'travel lanes' and locations? Fishing Fever sometimes refers to bars that have Chinook fishing in its vague descriptions. I have not seen any other person bar fishing from shore to indicate an appropriate spot, and I would like to know if I'm wasting my time without going to known spots for bar fishing...perhaps my strike was a fluke.

4) Can a person fish a bar rod, and cast another while they wait? Maybe I will try some drifting if this is allowed.
Interestingly, a day I was out for sockeye, the Fisheries officers came out to our spot. After checking licenses, barbless fishing, and catch...the FO said I could continue to fish past my limit, and if I hooked another fish, I could pass it off to another person in my group to land.

5) How does the lower Fraser bar fishing compare to the upper? I only know that the set up is much smaller in size.

TheLostSockeye

Re: Bar Fishing the upper Fraser...need some info
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »

Well if you where in the upper fraser what you did was illegal!!! There is a bait ban on now and you are not allowed to use scents!!! Only one rod per person on the river. Personally I wouldn't waste my time bar fishing the upper fraser. If you want to bar fish I would try the lower as it is much more productive. If you want to catch springs just go to the vedder and short float roe. I've had many 10+ spring days on roe on the vedder. And you can also try bar fishing the vedder it is very productive.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »

I set up a rod to try while I was flossing for sockeye last weekend and here is the result:
Then I tried one less common color that was recommended by Fred's, with the recommended scent,

Please check the regulations Before you go fishing.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_region2.pdf.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:14:33 PM »

You can either bar fish or cast lures. You can't do both at the same time.

Silver

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 11:20:49 PM »

Well if you where in the upper fraser what you did was illegal!!! There is a bait ban on now and you are not allowed to use scents!!! Only one rod per person on the river. Personally I wouldn't waste my time bar fishing the upper fraser. If you want to bar fish I would try the lower as it is much more productive. If you want to catch springs just go to the vedder and short float roe. I've had many 10+ spring days on roe on the vedder. And you can also try bar fishing the vedder it is very productive.

Although I was unsure that a scent qualified as a bait (I thought, roe, worms, shrimp, etc,). I don't feel that a little of it on my chinook rig is harmful to non targeted fish species. This was my reason for my unanswered question #2...unless I learn otherwise, a Spring is the only fish to bite this kind of large spin glow with a #7 hook?

I can understand not using roe during times of possible by-catch...and did not. I was mearly curious as to the logic of it's being wholly banned for use if targeting Spring salmon only? I understand float fishing roe might pick up threatened coho or steelhead.

In any case, good thing the ban is lifted tomorrow so I don't have to crotch my stash for fear of breaking the law...funny thing a day will do, almost feels like 'The Purge'.

Silver

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »

I set up a rod to try while I was flossing for sockeye last weekend and here is the result:
Then I tried one less common color that was recommended by Fred's, with the recommended scent,

Please check the regulations Before you go fishing.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_region2.pdf.

Thanks for the link...it is helpful and informative.

Just to clarify, I was fishing with two other very inexperienced novice fishermen and license holders...I was primarily doing all of the fishing, and would want to do the same again when bar fishing. There would not be more than one rod per person.