Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chinook fishing  (Read 2842 times)

Ry the fly guy

Chinook fishing
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:37:16 PM »

I need help getting the right rod and reel for targeting specifically Chinook salmon in rivers. I am open to spinning or casting gear but no fly or centerpin because I feel that they limit the options you have. I have a $700 budget for a rod, reel and line. I also need to know what kind of lures and artificial to use no bait though because I'm in a bait ban area. Thanks for the help.

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Chinook fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »

Do you have a boat?
big river?

give us more details.

Humpy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 07:49:21 PM »

I need help getting the right rod and reel for targeting specifically Chinook salmon in rivers. I am open to spinning or casting gear but no fly or centerpin because I feel that they limit the options you have. I have a $700 budget for a rod, reel and line. I also need to know what kind of lures and artificial to use no bait though because I'm in a bait ban area. Thanks for the help.
I thought the same a couple months ago, switched over to a centerpin and I am glad I did. It allows you to make the perfect natural drift that just isn't possible with a baitcaster or spinning set up. I would get a centerpin and a cheap spinning outfit. In a bait ban river, I would use spoons, spinners, blades and wool. Try them all until you find something works.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:11:19 PM »

Do you have a boat?
big river?

give us more details.
No boat and I'm on a medium/big sized river the Cowichan

I have a centerpin setup for steelhead right now and personally I want to keep it for steelhead because I don't like to float fish unless I have to it's just personnel preference