Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking to get into Jig Tying.  (Read 9285 times)

Humpy

Looking to get into Jig Tying.
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »

Looking to get into Jig tying for salmon and steelhead. I make my own spoons and spinners so I thought why not make my own jigs too.
I have no clue on what I need to purchase.
I figured I would need some tools, Bent Rods Jig Tool Kit consisting of a vice, scissors, bobbin, hackle pliers and jig thread for $55. http://bentrods.ca/product/jig-tool-kit
I assume I will need this too, Jig hook, pin and bead kit which consists of 10 of the following, 60 degree bend Sickle hook, Brass Beads in Nickel & Brass finish and Extra Strong Pins. http://bentrods.ca/product/25-do-it-yourself-jig-pack
What else will I need? I have bought bent rods jigs and they have served me very well so I thought why not purchase the kit from him too. Anybody use the kits? How do you like them? Does anybody have any good videos on how to make jigs? Thanks for the help.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Looking to get into Jig Tying.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »

That vice looks like it will will work quite nicely.

Just a note, if you get into jig tying (or eventually fly tying) do not pinch your barbs in the vice.

It does a couple things, namely stresses the hook creating a weak spot,  and second wears down the jaws of the vice faster.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »

That's a decent vice - I have something similar - made of solid brass, very heavy and stable.
You will probably need another bobbin - get a ceramic one - less static.

I use the same Bent Rod kits for Chum jigs every year.

http://bentrods.ca/steelhead-jigs-salmon-jigs/how-to-create-your-own-jigs
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:27:32 AM by Easywater »

Humpy

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:01:27 AM »

Thanks guys, where do I buy the marabou feathers and thread from? Anything else I am missing?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »

Thanks guys, where do I buy the marabou feathers and thread from? Anything else I am missing?

Pretty much any tackle shop. Highwater, Sea-Run, Pac Angler, Army and navy

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »

Make sure you kinda look through the packets of feathers to find nice ones with longer portions of slim stems relative to the thicker part (you basically cut away the thick part, lots of the feather).

Not all packets are the same. Check the rabbit strips too, I like the pieces with thinner leather. Easier to wrap.

Palmering marabou is a bitch, I'd try rabbit fur (crosscut) and schlappen first.

I bought a vise at SeaRun (great selection of materials and advice there, talk to Andrew) for $20. Works great for jigs. Been told not to cheap out on the bobbin.

You basically need a vise, bobbin, thread and head glue to start. A nice pair of scissors wouldn't hurt but use whatever you have. Borrow some cuticle scissors from someone's beauty kit.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:41:30 AM by Animal Chin »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »

You don't need to palmer marabou. Either pull a strip of marabou off the side of the feather and attach (this is how most marabou flies are tied) or cut a V at the top of the feather by removing a piece of the stem then gather the fibers in the amount you want to attach, measure the desired length and attach.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »

Best to start simple, such as pink rabbit with purple marabou or shalapen over the top (or visa versa) and some pink flash (as a tail or tied in along the side) is all you need for a killer Chum jig on Bent rods jig kit in 1/0.  Then start to buy other colour combinations and there are plenty of Youtube videos for you to copy, such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7y1cgW84c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2T21cgpUhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvDdjVd574w

PS I like the Bent Rod jig kits, solid hooks that have caught me lot of big chum.

Good luck

Humpy

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 05:06:35 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll be tying simple chum jigs to start and then I will experiment with different colours and feathers.
I guess the 1/0 for Chum like Knnn suggested and the size 1 for coho and steelhead?

jacked55

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »

I like buying my jig materials from Michael and Young in Surrey, and by all means if you want to get some great first hand advice on jig tying, send Bent Rod an email asking him when he is holding another jig tying seminar. Rod and his wife are awesome people and you cannot beat the experience you will get by going to one of his seminars. I learned tons from going and left with more than my moneys worth of jigs.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »

M&Y has the best selection of materials south of the fraser.  Sea Run has the best selection north of the fraser.

For marabou I generally buy Wapsi's strung marabou.  Its easily found in any fly/fly and tackle shop, usually the packaging sticker will say the "shop name/Fly angler distribution" but if you look in the bottom left corner there will be the wapsi logo.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »

Depending on where you live, some tackle shops offer an evening course on tying jigs. Bent Rods also offers same.

Humpy

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 09:03:55 PM »

Will look into the courses. Thanks again guys. Probably would be best if I contact Rod and talk to him.

jacked55

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 09:12:12 PM »

Best to take advantage of the fact the Master of jigs has his own course.
Lol.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:11 AM »

Jig typing is a great place to start as everything is big (hooks, materials) etc compared to tying tiny trout flies where you really need to concentrate. If you catch on to this kind of thing fast then you can probably pick it up with youtube.

I would also look into courses at Sea Run and Bent Rods. You will also want some of your own tying materials and tools. I would reccomend the following:

-Good enough vise. I have a cheapy but decent I started out with you can have if you like (does not rotate like the fancy ine I have now, but fine for starting out esp jigs). If you get into it buy a better vise down the road.

-Bobbin. Don't go super cheap here. I like the ceramic tip ones as the thread breaks less IMO.

-Scissors. Fly tying ones or some small sharp ones from around the house.

-Thread: I like UTC 140 for jigs. Just get some basic colors like black, white, pink, etc.

-Glue: whatever the shop has. I like "Hard Head." Some guys dont even glue their jigs.

-You CAN buy a whip finisher and learn to use it but for now I would just do half half hitchs at the end and glue.

From here I would pick some jigs you like and try to copy them, but change at least something like the color of flash or whatever so you can call it "yours" and not something you copied from Rod.

Get the staff wherever you shop to help you pick out some basic materials. A basic jig would have some flash in the tail like flashabou, a body like palmered (wrapped) cross cut rabbit fur, and a collar like schlappen or marabou. Pick up some basic materials in colors you like.

We just moved and all my tying stuff is in boxes but in a few weeks ill be up and tying jigs again. If you live near Chilliwack and want to pick up the vise one day (if you want it) give me a week or so to find it. If you are struggling and want some pointers lemme know. I am not a a pro or anything but jigs are easy, mine catch tons of fish and my buddies I give them to love them.

Final note: unlike making your own colorados etc tying your own jigs, flies etc is definitely N-O-T cheaper than just buying them. If you are tying to save money then just stop now. If you like the idea of creating your own jigs and flies and catching fish on them then giver!