Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaders and mainline.  (Read 3203 times)

A Frayed Knot

Leaders and mainline.
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:28:49 PM »

I don't really use my bait caster outside of maybe casual trolling w/ friends or mooching (do people still do that? or am I just old) Anyway.

I love to fly but I want to get the dust off my shimano and try to get myself to cast more often, I was wondering, outside of maybe the fraser (peg) or vedder, how heavy of a line do you recommend for salmon/steelhead? Normally, I use 25lb because its seems good enough for out in the ocean.
Maybe I am wrong but it seems kinda heavy for the rivers?

Also what kinda leads do you all recommend? I am usually using 6lb to 10lb.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Leaders and mainline.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:40 PM »

12lb main and 8lb leader.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:52:09 PM »

Thanks Rod, I had a feeling I was to heavy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:59:24 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

wonder

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »

i use 15 main and 12lb fluro leader

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:38:07 PM »

er I think it also kinda depends on conditions, species and how much of a top rod you are.

I generally run 15/20 main with 8-15 leaders (always 5 under my main).  Because I'm intending to fish for Coho, Chum and Chinook, I am currently spooled with 20 lbs.  If water remains very clear then I will use 8-10 flouro, but as it colours up and/or gets dirty then 12-15lbs.  Why risk loosing a fish, particularly if you are less than a l33t rod and you do not have to pussy foot around the fish for ages, increasing the chance of exhausting and killing the fish? 

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »

Well thats generally my thought I enjoy fishing. the fight is going to happen no matter what, I see no reason why people go for lighter gear, the mortality rate of fish is greatly increased, the longer the fish is out of water, the price is very high. While studies aren't necessarily updated, they don't need to be. mortality rate is pretty crappy. Doesn't matter the hook size, shape, color or if it sings frank sinatra to the fish, thats never going to change.

On the other hand, I do think line size can spook fish, and for good reason. I'd like to do better when I do chuck lures/wool or my new fav the bingo bugs.

My rods a 10'6'' Shimano Convergence it recommends 12-25lb. Because I used it to mooch and troll a lot out in the sound and past iona beach. I always used to heavier line, mostly the 25lb.
I don't know if its just me but I feel like its actually a hindrance out on the small rivers. I fish for salmon and steelhead, generally chum is my go to fish. I to try to fish for Chinook or Coho when I can.

I am thinking I will stick to around a 15lb mainline and just sit around 8-10lbs for leader. I think that should cover all the bases and still leave me with some strength to hurry a fish in.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:01:38 PM by A Frayed Knot »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:35:16 PM »

on the flip side, i've seen a guy accidentally rip the bottom jaw off a large coho by horsing it in when it wasn't ready...he was using braided line with a 25 lb test leader and 2 o/t hook...worse thing about it was he managed to get it to shore with it's jaw dangling...wild coho at that! Released, but most likely didn't survive... True story.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:19:52 AM »

That's never a comforting thought, it's also true a lack of experience can also be harmful.