Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braid woes  (Read 7559 times)

bald_seagull

Re: Braid woes
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »

weird never had repeat birdnests on my spinning rod sounds like your rod is releasing its load and the lure isnt pulling the line out fast enough

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 06:28:11 AM »

try put your reel on a bait casting rod and try a few casts to see if it tangles. The smaller diameter guides might keep the line from flying around so much and perhaps this stops the tangles. At least that will tall you if its a rod or a reel related issue and you can fine tune the trouble shooting from there.

Personally I think you have line twist. I would go down to the river and let out a good length of line downstream with nothing on the end. Let it unwind in the stream for a few minutes.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »

try put your reel on a bait casting rod and try a few casts to see if it tangles. The smaller diameter guides might keep the line from flying around so much and perhaps this stops the tangles. At least that will tall you if its a rod or a reel related issue and you can fine tune the trouble shooting from there.

Personally I think you have line twist. I would go down to the river and let out a good length of line downstream with nothing on the end. Let it unwind in the stream for a few minutes.

^^you could probably put a small swivel on the end to help the current take it and it'll still unravel

Sounds like you loaded the reel wrong which means the twist will be all the way through. Your going to want to empty it before reeling it all back in, pulling it tight will not eliminate the twist.

Try googling how to load a spinning reel with braid.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:02:16 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

vandenhooff

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »

My new, high end, spinning rod has a small'ish first guide and taht may be contributing to a line jam.  I wonder if braid on my 1500 Sedona might be a different experience. 

Are you sure that's a spinning rod? The first guide on a spinning rod is usually quite large.

Could also be wind knots. Youtube "wind knots" there are some common errors/tips.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:38:44 PM by vandenhooff »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »

Are you sure that's a spinning rod? The first guide on a spinning rod is usually quite large.

Could also be wind knots. Youtube "wind knots" there are some common errors/tips.

I was just looking at many spinning rods in the last month before I decided on the one I bought and yes there are a few models where ALL the eyes are quite small. These ones fell off my list very quickly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 08:02:53 PM »

How small?
First guide OD should be 1/2 the diameter of your spool lip for optimal performance.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 10:58:12 PM »

--haven't tried it myself but the Microwave system is supposed to help combat that problem with the two eyes on first guide.

--might want to try a different sized/shaped spool if the reel has that option.
--borrow a friends reel that works on their rod and try it on yours.
--have someone else give it a try and observe what they do...slow mow camera setting might actually show what is happening and help you adjust.
--sometimes the reel foot doesn't fit the reel seat or there might be a slight bend int he foot or the reel seat any of these or a combo of these may cause the line to not enter the guide at the desired angle.
--what is make and model of the rod? maybe others have had similar problem with the gear you are using.

--you may just have to go with a bit larger diameter or stiffer line to reduce the slap

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:01:12 PM by skaha »

vandenhooff

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »

I was just looking at many spinning rods in the last month before I decided on the one I bought and yes there are a few models where ALL the eyes are quite small. These ones fell off my list very quickly

Any chance you can post the make and model, or post a pic of the rod itself showing the specs?

barklee

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 11:54:52 PM »

I get the same problem with mitchell avocet reel with bottom drag, pwr pro yellow 15lbs braided and HMX 9foot6 4-10lbs. I feel that I get the tangle when I cast it hard perpendicular to water rather than at an angle. Try that. I think also the way you cast effects the way the line touches the guides causing a tangle.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 04:58:04 AM »

The rod doesn't know what angle you cast. It shouldn't make any difference.

barklee

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 06:13:33 AM »

maybe not the angle but for sure whipping it can cause a tangle

how do you post video?

bald_seagull

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 05:44:15 PM »

i have 7'6 carrot stik micro guide series rod paired with c14 3000 reel 8lb test and ive never had this issue while using it and the first guide is only about 3/4"
only while using slower action rods have i had this happen and always when trying to hero cast a mile