Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: waahhmbleside  (Read 2707 times)

bald_seagull

waahhmbleside
« on: September 15, 2014, 05:54:16 PM »

got spooled by a spring yesterday rookie maneuver,
once i noticed how big it was i got scared my leader would break so i backed the drag off a bit, i had 15lb seagaur sts doubt it would turn a spring around. the fish dieseled along the shoreline towards the rock jetty until it took all 100 or so yrds i had on my chronarch, stupid thing is purchased a new spool of power pro slick 8 a few weeks back but never put it on my reel. that fish is gonna haunt me for awhile

MetalAndFeathers

Re: waahhmbleside
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »

Similar thing happend a couple days ago a guy hooked a spring that ran for like 2 mins 100kmh.It was crazy.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »

Probably just a Sole hooked in the tail.;...... ;)

You never forget the ones like this that get away.

Some of my best memories are of fish that got away.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:04:42 PM by firstlight »

bald_seagull

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »

Probably just a Sole hooked in the tail.;...... ;)

You never forget the ones like this that get away.

Some of my best memories are of fish that got away.

i got a good look as the fish was splashing around

cant even order the mepps i was using off there website

pacific flyer

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:22:44 PM »

"The one that got away" story.. I think most of us have one.  It only feeds the fishing addiction hah

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:56:21 PM »

...Sounds like there must be plenty of springs there  ;D

rustybee

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 01:26:20 PM »

Respectfully. Sometimes you gotta make a call when you know there isn't a hope in hell of landing  the fish. Better to break off early then have them spool you had have 100yard of mono line out there in the ocean with the fish. Fish is probably not going to make it with a tangled mess trailing it and mono will do damage to other sea life down the road if it every makes its way to the sea (turtles etc...). Not to mention that you will save some $ not having to replace the whole spool.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:28:13 PM by rustybee »

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:57:22 PM »

I agree with rustybee, wish there was a way to like the comment.

I started using a very environmentally friendly fishing line, designed over seas, it actually biodegrades carbon dioxide and water through the work of microorganisms in water. Rather pricey at the moment, but if I lose some line I don't feel guilty, depending on water temp it'll degrade faster or slower.

Worth the money if it means, my niece and nephew and their kids will be able to fish when they are older and their grand kids. Assuming jackasses wake up and start paying attention to the actual fish themselves.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

bald_seagull

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 07:02:23 PM »

Respectfully. Sometimes you gotta make a call when you know there isn't a hope in hell of landing  the fish. Better to break off early then have them spool you had have 100yard of mono line out there in the ocean with the fish. Fish is probably not going to make it with a tangled mess trailing it and mono will do damage to other sea life down the road if it every makes its way to the sea (turtles etc...). Not to mention that you will save some $ not having to replace the whole spool.

like i said rookie move if the fish wasnt running directly at all the other guys fishing lanes i probably would have looked down and cranked up the drag instead i was too worried about getting entangled with all the guys casting off the rocks and trying not to fall as i was trying to walk over a submerged rockpile
either way ill be ready next chance i get to hit the water