Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to go crabbing  (Read 4823 times)

KarateKick

Where to go crabbing
« on: September 13, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »

Where is the best place to go crabbing this weekend?

We went to the Ambleside pier two weeks ago, and every crab we caught was undersized.  A friend says we may catch some bigger ones if we go to Barnet Marine Park.  Is there any truth to that?

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Where to go crabbing
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »

White Rock

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »

Crabbing during this time of the year is not so productive due to the commercial crabbing pressure in the past several months. You'll find it more productive later this winter when pressure is much lower.

BananasQ

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »

Belcarra will be the same. If you want to catch legal crab from shore its slim pickings this time of year. Could try down by the McBarge, I often see people there.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »

I was down at Ambleside this morning for a couple of hours. Lots of people crabbing. 99.9% of the crabs caught were undersized. Saw only one legal crab caught.

BananasQ

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »

I was at ambleside too - crabbing and fishing from a yellow canoe. Got skunked on both salmon and crabs but was a beautiful day on the water. 8)

BananasQ

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 07:56:53 AM »

I was down at Ambleside this morning for a couple of hours. Lots of people crabbing. 99.9% of the crabs caught were undersized. Saw only one legal crab caught.

Reminds me of when I was talking to the parks officer at Belcarra - last summer they monitored catches and out of 1300 crabs that were caught off the dock there, only 30 were legal - just over 2%. Of those, only 4 were Dungeness with the rest red rock.

fish fear me

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »

at the pier by jericho sailing centre people crabbing with chicken parts usually get some keepers 1 or 2 per crabber it used to be very bad there but its picking up just make sure you get there early enough to get a spot ;)

BananasQ

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »

at the pier by jericho sailing centre people crabbing with chicken parts usually get some keepers 1 or 2 per crabber it used to be very bad there but its picking up just make sure you get there early enough to get a spot ;)

Interesting - I thought that you couldn't crab there.  Area 28-8 is closed year round for crabbing. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html.  Oh, well look at that - its *just* in 28-7.  Good to know!