Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: first time on the skagit  (Read 4147 times)

jackie

first time on the skagit
« on: September 13, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »

Hi guys
I'm going to the skagit for the first time on Tuesday. Where is a good spot to fish I was thinking about driving to sumallo grove and walking down and fishing from there then camping at the 26 mile bridge area. Are there any other good spots to fish? And also what flies should I tie up before I go?
Any help is appreciated, I'm 14 and I want to have good fishing of I'm dragging my mom out there.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: first time on the skagit
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »

fishing is better on the lower Skagit, 26 Mile bridge to the lake. There are several pull outs along the road where you park and walk the trail to the river. I would suggest you avoid the Nepopekum pull out because you have to wade a wide fast tailout to get to the better water to fish, plus the walk is around 1km. Bring lots of mosquito spray they can be biblical in the Skagit valley. Don't hesitate to fish right at the 26 mile bridge either, I caught lots of nice rainbows there in the past up and down from it as well.

when I target 'bows I usually nymph with a size 8-12 Prince Nymph under an indicator, I would also bring Hare's Ears and some stones (black and golden). Obviously you can take more but you don't need to over complicate it on your first time. If you want to try and get into some Bull trout then some larger flies are good like big stones, bunny leeches, sculpin, white clousers or minnow imitations. Trick is to be able to get the fly down and keep it down in their faces

If you mom is walking out with you then I suggest she wears waders, there are areas where you need to wade lots and some not so much, you only figure them out once you get out there. If she is chilling in the vehicle while you fish then I would suggest two things, 1 - you wear a PFD and 2 - stay away from crazy wades.

Have fun and be safe

PS - If you don't bring enough bug spray your trip may get cut short  :-X
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

jackie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »

Thanks alot! I'll make sure to bring the bug spray and have you heard anything about the hatches up there what dries should I bring?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »

I have never seemed to time it right for good dry fishing. I would take some of the usual suspects :- Adams (regular or parachute style), Elk hair Caddis (down to a size 18), Green Drakes, duns....etc. or just come up with something of your own. I rather nymph there if I target 'bows so even though I carry a bunch of dries I carry way more nymphs
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

whereismyfloat

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »

If you dry fly fish be prepared to take some small patterns. Many hatches are 18 or smaller. I was up on the weekend and the afternoon hatches were good. Mayflies mostly. An 18 BWO and an 18 Adams both took fish. All were taken in the tough areas. Along logs and especially under overhanging bush. Be prepared to loose a few if your targeting the right areas.

As far as nymphing ... Caddis in olive/tan, PTN (frenchies), stones, hare's ear. Those are staple patterns that should give you a good chance if presented well.

Good luck.

jackie

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »

Thanks everyone. Fishing was super tough. Caught 8 rainbows during the day all were pretty good size two got wrapped around a log way out in the run and I had to do a rescue mission  for them haha. At the night hatch I got three more but boy were they picky I went through about 12 flies before I found one that worked but the big ones still weren't rising for it. During the day I got some on stones and on a 18 elk hair caddis and on a 18 adams at night a little size 18 emerger worked alright. The bulls were pretty aggressive to I got into 3 on bunny patterns as I brought my 6 weight along as well. But overall people said that this is the pickiest they have ever seen the fish. I ran into about 10 people all having only caught around 5 fish between them and that was at the most. They all said that only size 18s were working nothing else. So I guess the big issue is come prepared and don't be scared to go small.
Also at the night hatch there were lots of big mayflies (green drakes and big brown ones maybe March browns I don't know but the trout weren't interested.
And one final point the mosquitos aren't that bad from 26 mile bridge to strawberry day use.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »

Great report Jackie, thanks for posting it.  Sounds like you're a good fisherman and tenacious.  Sometimes that's the difference between a ok trip and a good one.   Keep at it til you find what works. :)  Any Westslope Cutties?

jackie

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »

Haha nope no westlopes didn't think there were that many left  in the skagit thanks to the dam  :-[