Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking of ...  (Read 18288 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Thinking of ...
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »

That's good to know, I am in between work at the moment (anyone hiring?) But I think thats my project for this winter is to have a new spey, and then by next summer to get myself a Tenkara for the small stream trout fishing, if we have any... anything I find looks like something I'd sooner white water kayak then fish. Ha-ha

my work has been hiring quite a bit the last while. send me an email and I will give you some info if your interested
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »

I will do that for sure.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

mvelasco

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »

Best choice I made fishing was picking up a spey rod. Absolutely love it. When fishing is slow it's a good time to practice casting and tuning your swing. For me I started with the 8136 dually (249.99) and a Rio switch chucker (9wt). Not The recommended line but surely helped me tune my casting and understand rod loading. Cut the head off and had sea run make a loop and threw on a 575 grain Skagit head to really get my fly out there. You'll learn a lot about line recommendations vs your preference. If budget is tight look on spey pages. I pieced my switch rod setup for a decent price. Bought a Beulah 10'6 8/9 switch for 175 (shipping and conversion included) and a TFO prism for 77(shipping and conversion included).

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »

I agree.

Thanks to all the help I think I have settled on a couple rods, I think are going to best round out my collection.

First is Echo DHII 8133
Second is Echo TR 9140
Third would be Echo K-9130

The third one I am concerned it might be able to bulky for BC fishing. I obviously want to be able to use it down here as well :P
Sometime I will get my hands on the Dean river for some fishing or the Yukon.

The only thing now is I want a rod still for trout, that I am probably either going to think about Tenkara (these things are a riot to fish with )
or maybe a light single hand, can't imagine any any rivers with good foot/walk 'n wade that would fit a spey. lol

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »

Don't think there is much difference between a 13 or 14 foot 9wt rod besides the 1 foot in length. perhaps because its a KING series spey rod its a very heavy 9wt. The 9140 would handle almost any Chinook your going to do battle with, if you were ever outgunned its easy enough to point and snap the fly off ( I have had to do it before )

I own the 8133 and I would feel pretty secure with most Chinook and chum. I only got my 9140 for up north, the Thompson or if I happen to snap the 8133 and need something larger than my 7136 at the time

Happy Shopping  :)
Check out our new blog

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »

Other then the price, I didn't see much difference, there was a reason I looked at King I thought it was length but its escaped me.

Thanks Hook!

mvelasco

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »

Oh if you want a an echo setup check out caddis fly shop out of Oregon.  They an ion 8/10 and 8wt 13 footer with shooting head and line for 450USD http://www.caddisflyshop.com/echo-classic-two-hander-compete-spey-outfit.html

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »

Oh if you want a an echo setup check out caddis fly shop out of Oregon.  They an ion 8/10 and 8wt 13 footer with shooting head and line for 450USD http://www.caddisflyshop.com/echo-classic-two-hander-compete-spey-outfit.html

the Echo Classic's are nice rods however they are now one of their low end series rods. I think the rod alone comes in well under $300 and I'm not sure if they have the same mojo they once did.

another shop based out of the US is Reds fly shop who also do some package deals. I think they have Echo and Redington combos right now as well as TFO & Sage

EDIT - one of the rods your looking at is for sale on Speypages at the moment http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=134801
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:07:38 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 09:12:15 PM »

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2012/11/29/echo-classic-spey-rod-review-november-2012/

This provides insisght on the Echo spey's that have been dubbed the "Echo Classic" by anglers and the rod series that is called the Echo Classic.

Basically the new Echo Classics are an upgraded Echo Solo.  Still if you read it, it gives some insight.

I own an Echo 13'6" 8/9 spey that I should use more, and will be once October comes around.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2012/11/29/echo-classic-spey-rod-review-november-2012/

This provides insisght on the Echo spey's that have been dubbed the "Echo Classic" by anglers and the rod series that is called the Echo Classic.

Basically the new Echo Classics are an upgraded Echo Solo.  Still if you read it, it gives some insight.

I own an Echo 13'6" 8/9 spey that I should use more, and will be once October comes around.

I owned an original Echo Classic 9140, I really enjoyed that rod and sometimes wish I still had it. I didn't read the article however it sounds like the newer "classics" aren't the same as the originals just as I had suspected  :(
Check out our new blog

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »

Yeah, I can't pick up any rods right now. But they are on the wishlist so to speak.

I hit PEg leg and the Vedder today it was really quiet fish why, saw a lot of rising towards the end of peg, closest to Harrison mouth I think?

I tried to spey but that was a total disaster I don't know why I couldn't make a cast, I love the loop to loop connections because I don't have the finger dex for a lot of tying any more. But if my loops weren't catching on eyes, my line was just flopping over, seemed so easy on the grass...

This is the problem with do it yourself learning. Hard to figure out what's going on. Thank god it was my 11' switch rod, I could at least single hand. But I think its a technical issue. I did something to my line, I got the backing, the running line, then the shooting line then my sink tip and leader, but some where between the running line and sink tip, something just doesn't feel right, I feel like I might have added extra line without realising it.
I can tell because of the way I turn the fly, it doesn't feel the same as it used too. It's almost like when you chuck a fly thats to heavy for your single hand, where the line shoots out but the fly just kinda hangs out by your feet telling you "nope, I ain't movin!"
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:14:34 AM by A Frayed Knot »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »

Have you not used this setup very much ?

kinda sounds like your trying to use a sink tip either to long or too heavy for your switch rod. Could also be your technique and yes water will make it more difficult than grass.

If your near Langley or willing to travel I may be able to get some free time to help you out with some pointers
Check out our new blog

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »

Unfortunately I live in Coquitlam. I don't think it's the lines to heavy, I don't recall ever having this problem before.It could also very well be my technique, that seems very likely to me.
I think it could also be the length though, its kinda why I am on the side of maybe I got two different leaders on the line without some how realising it. which sounds really odd, but I hadn't used the rod  in well over a year and a half. I feel like I may have absent mindlessly through on another leader or something. Well that's how I feel anyway, I am going find out tomorrow, I am going head to the pro shop in the morning and talk with with them and also have em take a look at another reel I am having mechanical issues with and its under a life time warranty so no reason to fuss with it myself.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 07:04:08 AM »

Keep in mind a spey "weight" is not the same as a single hand rod "weight". Spey is a "grains" game, and it's mainly an issue of having a rod with a grain window that can throw big, heavy sink tips and skagit heads, that can turn over a lead eye intruder that can dredge deep in fast water (where springs and winter steelhead like to sit).

This is a bit misleading. For both SH and spey rods line weights are related to a range of grain weights or grams etc. What you may be thinking is that the spey rating is much heavier than the standard or SH range ie a #8 for SH is centred at 210grains with a range of plus or minus 8 while a #8 Spey is rated at 550 grains with a range of plus or minus 50. The Spey range relates to other heads other than Skagits as well. With all types of Spey casting much of the line is not in the air but on the water and the rod is loaded by the line in the air and tension on the line on the water.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »

HOOK, I solved the spey casting issue a few days ago. Turns out I had two sink tips unwittingly on the line, a clear full sink, then my T-1 talk about awkward.  ::)
The last few days I have been scratching my head trying to figure out what the heck would possess me to put two lines on. Haha.