Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Opinion On Sockeye  (Read 5549 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: More Opinion On Sockeye
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 07:17:30 AM »

X2 on the last paragraph.  The valley communities advertise 'come and visit our communities and partake in our attractions'.  Well, the sockeye are their biggest and best attraction.  Instead of complaining about the crowds and trash, they could supply a few trash bins, make parking easier etc.  That might encourage visitors to drop a few more dollars.

There is one valley community that shall remain unnamed that in my opinion treats the sport fishers so poorly that I boycott their businesses and not just when I am fishing, all year.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:25:30 AM by VAGAbond »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »

Interesting letter, I know people have used a bare hook and got them that they say is illegal so I guess those that catch them in the ocean with a black or red hook behing a flasher is illegal too.
A few more days and things will quiet down for another 4 years.

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/opinion/letters/273829551.html

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »

He has no idea what he is talking about. Bottom bouncing is not producing biting fish. Especially in the Fraser River with fast moving 3" visibility water.

Sockeye do bite, but not in that water. They bite in clear water, like the Upper Pitt.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »

I used to keep track where the fish were hooked. Over a couple of seasons I recorded about 20% of the sockeye were hooked inside the mouth. Did they bite? I don't know. I have met other anglers who have been doing this since the 90s when an official sockeye season was started plus some who did it on a catch and release basis before then who are felt sockeye will  and do bite in the Frasere even with low visibility. Some caught them in back waters. Pinks will certainly take in such conditions. however there's little doubt that something like 99% of the fish taken using the typical methods are flossed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »

-- In the interior we actually "catch" sockeye in Osoyoos lk.
-- The town encourages those fishing by allowing free day use parking of boat trailers at the free public boat launch. There is an over flow area a short distance from the boat launch... it is also free for day use.
-- Longer term use... if you stay at an area motel that does not have enough space to store your trailer...the motel will give you a pass that can be tagged on your trailer for storeage while you are visiting. Again free to visitors... the motels pay for the the service through their hotel tax to the city.
-- If you want a few more fish to take home First Nations have a site where you can purchase fresh caught Sockeye from their Legal commercial fishery.
-- Area restaurant's feature fresh caught local salmon on the menu, paired with local wines and produce.
-- First Nations have a significant roll in the management of the sockeye. They have a hatchery and have spent several years and dollars on spawning habitat recovery and fish passage to increase rearing capacity in Skaha lake.

-- Each year there seems to be an improvement on the experience.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »

A lot of people that think this activity is OK miss, in my humble opinion that there is so many young people and of course newbies that quickly learn this is an easy way to take fish and donot have to endure the learning curve so many seasoned anglers have gone through.

Anyone that thinks this is OK and justify it in many ways should not criticize those that carry it onto other rivers as this is the only way they know how to take fish, its like a cancer that continues to grow and grow and is almost impossible to stop.

Unfortunately it is also driven by a large degree by the economic driver and those that make thousands of dollars and more during these openings laugh all the way to their bank, while the once relaxing way to enjoy ones time off or during retirement years ends at the bottom of the vault covered by millions of dollars.

Thankful there is still places to go where flossing is impossible and one can still practice the true art of what recreational angling used to be about.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:42:55 PM »

It's one thing to look a blind eye to snagging sockeye in the Fraser but that should be the extent of it. Biting in clear water - flyfishing? Lol flyfishers discovered flossing so I'm not a great believer in the whole clear water bs, besides, why encourage it? It's downright absurd that whole threads are dedicated to teaching folks how to snag fish - I thought this was a forum for sportfishing. Chris is correct that people will take the path of least resistance and transfer the flossing technique to other areas and species, yet no one gives a rat's behind. I'm all for getting folks into fishing and even having their go at snagging sockeye on the Fraser, but they should at least be able to identify species, spell the body of water they intend to fish and - most importantly - know that flossing isn't angling, but an acceptable form of harvest for the Fraser River Sockeye. Yea, get on and justify whatever the heck you want - we all know it's not ethical nor is it angling. Chris is right - it's a cancer that's spreading everywhere, even onto forums where sportfishing is supposed to be the topic - not snagging.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:53:30 PM »

It's one thing to look a blind eye to snagging sockeye in the Fraser but that should be the extent of it. Biting in clear water - flyfishing? Lol flyfishers discovered flossing so I'm not a great believer in the whole clear water bs, besides, why encourage it? It's downright absurd that whole threads are dedicated to teaching folks how to snag fish - I thought this was a forum for sportfishing. Chris is correct that people will take the path of least resistance and transfer the flossing technique to other areas and species, yet no one gives a rat's behind. I'm all for getting folks into fishing and even having their go at snagging sockeye on the Fraser, but they should at least be able to identify species, spell the body of water they intend to fish and - most importantly - know that flossing isn't angling, but an acceptable form of harvest for the Fraser River Sockeye. Yea, get on and justify whatever the heck you want - we all know it's not ethical nor is it angling. Chris is right - it's a cancer that's spreading everywhere, even onto forums where sportfishing is supposed to be the topic - not snagging.

Who in this thread is encouraging flossing?