Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour river  (Read 4184 times)

Canuck

Seymour river
« on: August 31, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »

So I recently went to the mouth of the Seymour twice fishing for coho for hours with no success and have tried everything i have, spinners, spoons, roe, etc.
I know that in the past this rivers salmon population was recovering but its been years since then, and it must be doing better by now I would think.
I see multiple seals swimming around the mouth but it look to me as if they're having little success too
I know that I could just be going to the Capilano but its a pretty long drive for me and the Seymour is only a few minutes away.
Is there just not many fish here or do i need to wait for some good rain to get results?
any information or tips would help! :)

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Seymour river
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:28:18 PM »

rain will bring some in but still early for this river,also hard to catch at the mouth chased and spooked by seals better further up river after river comes up.

ride604

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »

Been to the Seymour about six times in the past month.  Have so far observed a school of approx 10-12 legal size coho on one day below the railway bridge, two large coho at the top of the brackish waterway on another day, two days where fish were being hunted and successfully caught by seals and otters, and two days where there was absolutely no sign of fish, including today.  I am a novice fisherman and the outings were all quite short (40-60 min), but in the six outings I managed to hook and lose one coho and hook and release one fish which I was not able to identify (possibly a cod of sorts).  Shortly before I arrived today an angler supposedly hooked and landed a cutthroat trout.  Coho was hooked at low tide with a spinner, and unidentified fish was hooked at low tide with a hammered brass with orange firestripe 1/2 ounce Gibbs Croc, both in the river below the railway bridge.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:32:25 PM by ride604 »

Canuck

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »

I've never even seen a fish when I've been there, maybe I just went on bad days?  I'll definitely have to head out there again soon and I think I'll explore the upper river along fisherman's trail when we get some good rain

G-Ratt

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »

If you're fishing an estuary in North Van, Capilano is really the only one that is worthwhile. Seymour's salmon stocks are still recovering (poorly), and the mouth of the Seymour, with the lack of cover and industrial presence, is a poor staging ground for fish (this should be fixed with the Seymour estuary improvement project). I have found that the fish usually hold further out in the ocean. If you do continue going, then the usual suspects are most effective for lures - Gibbs Krocs, Buzz Bombs, Blue Fox and Colorado Spinners. As you said, the upper river will get better after some rain, as it is currently dry as a bone. Just as a note, this river is a bit hush-hush so you might not get the info you're seeking on a public forum.

But if I must ask, if you live a couple minutes from the Seymour, Capilano is not that far a drive, why not go to a river with a much better chance at hooking into some Coho?

Good luck out there!

Canuck

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »

I have been to the the mouth of the cap 3 times with no success either but I've had bad experiences coming home from there, I got stuck in traffic 2/3 times and it took me a little over an hour to get home, its just way easier for me just to cross the second narrows bridge and I'm there, I might have to try the Cap again though if I'm still getting nothing from the Seymour

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 09:40:23 PM »

Not much going on at the mouth of the Seymour.  As others have mentioned, what fish are there, zip up river after holding further out.  Not a great angling opporunity.  Made worse by the noice and paint/chemical spray from the ship yard on the east side of the mouth.  Yuck.

ride604

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:05:20 PM »

Went again this evening, checked from the top of the brackish water to the Mount Seymour Parkway bridge.  No signs of fish but there were five anglers targeting Cutthroat, and the river has raised to a level that more ambitious fish could run up.  Moved down to below the railway bridge for the half hour before dark and saw one fish push water, then a few more signs when an otter began herding fish.  Seems like the coho are holding on the bottom but not in significant numbers at the moment.  I noticed the same when I depth sounded the area three weeks ago, not too many marks, and all on the bottom. This is my first season where I have fished consistently, but in years past I observed the Seymour salmon runs and can tell you that while it is not the strongest fishery, it is certainly not a dead one.