Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait Ban and Conservation  (Read 12555 times)

CurrySonic

Bait Ban and Conservation
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »

Hi everyone,

Why are Bait Bans imposed to converse conserve fish? Whats the difference if people use bait vs artificial lures or flies?

Just trying to fill a gap in my bank of knowledge! Thanks folks!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:52:01 AM by CurrySonic »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Bait Ban and Conservation
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »

How do they converse fish? ???
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

pbish

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:41:26 PM »

Coho will try and swallow roe hooks go deeper more more bleeding more dead fish

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »

Most time a bait ban is introduced to protect at risk species. Such as the Capilano bait ban is to protect steelhead.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »

Bait ban is implemented to protect vulnerable runs like coho salmon and steelhead for a couple of reasons. To reduce the interception rate. Bait fishing is too successful when it comes to catching these two species. Secondly, to reduce mortality of released fish.

Speaking of bait ban, it comes in effect on the Fraser River this coming week.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2014/08/30/fraser-river-salmon-regulation-changes-for-september/

CurrySonic

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 03:19:03 AM »

How do they converse fish? ???

HAHAHAHA this made my afternoon.... Goodness XD

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 08:42:59 AM »

There are many studies that show that actively feeding fish such as trout, bass, walleye etc are far more likely to swallow a baited hook than an artificial lure or fly and exhibit much higher mortality rates (on the order of 50%) if released. So when limits are kept low or a fishery is catch and release only bait is often banned. There were many fisheries - mostly resident trout rivers - that exhibited a dramatic increase in both the number of fish and in size when catch and release low bag limits were introduced in combination with bait bans.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chromeo

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »

Bait ban is the biggest joke in this fishery next to the rape of salmon by natives.  We already are allowed only single barbless hooks which minimize injury to fish but to add a bait ban to an already difficult river to fish correctly for salmon is pathetic.  With the water vis the way it is your lucky to get the bites you do get and so why not reduce hook size as well?  Basically the bait ban is a pretend band aid to a much bigger problem from native and commercial over fishing making it more difficult to the law abiding citizens who choose to fish for fish the way it was supposed to be.  You go to any other province or state and watch how they manage their fishery cause this ones a joke.  Columbia river is a prime example of a well managed fishery and i'm talking US side.

And for the record i fish both Gear and Fly. 

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »

Bait ban is the biggest joke in this fishery next to the rape of salmon by natives.  We already are allowed only single barbless hooks which minimize injury to fish but to add a bait ban to an already difficult river to fish correctly for salmon is pathetic.  With the water vis the way it is your lucky to get the bites you do get and so why not reduce hook size as well?  Basically the bait ban is a pretend band aid to a much bigger problem from native and commercial over fishing making it more difficult to the law abiding citizens who choose to fish for fish the way it was supposed to be.  You go to any other province or state and watch how they manage their fishery cause this ones a joke.  Columbia river is a prime example of a well managed fishery and i'm talking US side.

And for the record i fish both Gear and Fly.

I agree 100%.
It is a joke.

Tenz85

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 07:14:15 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the purpose of the bait ban is to reduce hook ups and inhaled hooks for the trout and steelhead that are considered endangered, which protects the fishery..

What would you even target with bait this time of year until it lifts in early Oct anyway?

Does bait ban apply to using salmon chunks/eel/hollies for sturgeon?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 08:59:40 PM »

--Circle hooks

Drewhill

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »

Problem with the bait ban on a river like the cap is once it goes into effect a lot of guys start "fishing" with wool. Although a few do it legit, most are just out to snag.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 11:09:32 PM »

Speaking of conservation when will Sockeye close? I cant help but feel sad for all the other Salmon that will start migrating in numbers through the gauntlet of bottom bouncers.. Is it just my lack of knowledge, or is there a serious problem at hand in this regard?
It's a problem. 3 years ago during the pink salmon bottom bouncing scene at Peg Leg, during the second week of Sept, I saw 2 dead wild coho and 1 dead wild steelhead lying dead in a shallow backwater at the corner.

I called RAPP and they attended.

Not what the anglers knew or did not know, but it can be a  problem       
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:12:27 PM by clarki »

CurrySonic

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 11:29:46 PM »

So why don't fish swallow lures and flies? There are lots of pictures on the internet on how fish (and birds) are swallowing plastic.

Is it the same sense that if I bite into a delicious gummy bear only to realize its rubber and has no taste, I will spit it out?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 11:57:27 PM »

It's a problem. 3 years ago during the pink salmon bottom bouncing scene at Peg Leg, during the second week of Sept, I saw 2 dead wild coho and 1 dead wild steelhead lying dead in a shallow backwater at the corner.

I called RAPP and they attended.

Not what the anglers knew or did not know, but it can be a  problem       

Actually, last year Stratocaster and I checked out Peg Leg area with the fly rods, and saw a handful of dead sockeye and coho.  These were laying on the beach next to FN totes and nets.  They had openings for netting the pinks.  Not making any assumptions here, but we saw what we saw.  Later in the morning, we were forced to move as the FN came in with nets.  No big deal, as there were plenty of pinks to be had further down river.  Saw some sockeye too, but they wouldn't touch the fly.