Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which size Calcutta for river fishing?  (Read 2386 times)

Hoop71

Which size Calcutta for river fishing?
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »

Trying to decide between the CT200D or the CT300D.  Build quality is identical it just depends on line capacity and 11lbs of drag vs 15lbs.

Would be using locally in rivers so not sure if the 300 is too large? Need to physically feel them in my hands as well so does anyone know of any local shops that carry more than just the 400 series Calcutta so I can get a close up look?

Cheers,
Dan

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Which size Calcutta for river fishing?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »

try nikka.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »

Just my humble opinion here and I have not tried the D series. I had a Calcutta 150 which I though was absolutely perfect for cohos and occasional chum. Undergunned for larger springs 20+ lbs in the drag department. Still manageable but not the best tool for the job. Would have used that reel forever until I lost it like an idiot.

I have a Calcutta Conquest 300 now which is a dedicated chum and spring reel. Very nicely balanced for those fish but would be a bit overkill for cohos and similar in my opinion.

If I had to pick just one I'd go for the 200 as I dont usually target springs and I like my gear as light and sleek as possible. If I was after springs regularly, it would be the 300 without a second thought. The 400 is unnecessarily large in my opinion. Definitely go and hold a 300 and see how you like it. It's quite different than the 200 or 400 but I'd bet you'd find it a nice compromise unless your hands are unusually large or small? I bought it sight unseen and dont regret it.

burnaby

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:42:38 AM »

Use a 201TE or Luna 201 for Vedder Coho.
Use a Luna 300 or Calcutta 400 for Fraser.

Hoop71

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:25:08 PM »

Looked at a 300D at Pacific Angler and it felt good in my hands. Probably will go with the 300 but still want to hold a 200D for comparison.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 08:25:01 AM »

I use a Calcutta CT 200 B for my Fall fishing since I'm targeting coho and it is a SWEET reel!  I also use a Luna 253, which is probably similar in size to a 300 and it too is a great reel.  Personally, I prefer the 200 B because I like the smaller size. I've never had a problem on local rivers like the Vedder/Chilliwack with braking or line capacity, and I do hook and land the odd spring.  If I was specifically targeting larger salmon like springs and chum (which I don't, unless it's for the summer red Chinook), then I'd lean toward the larger 300 size reel.  In fact, I've got an Abu C3 5500 with upgraded ceramic ABEC 7 bearings that I specifically use for red springs - but that's another story...  :).

As for the Calcutta 400 series (or Abu 6000 series), these reels are too large for smaller systems like the Vedder/Chilliwack, but suitable for the Fraser.

So - I guess the question for you is what do you want to use this reel for? Are you primarily targeting coho, or are you intending to target springs on a regular basis as well?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 04:48:25 PM »

Ive used a 250 for a while now but seldom fish the Vedder or for Chum or Chinook so is ok on smaller rivers.

If all I fished was the Vedder id use a 400.
Have never seen the 200 and 300 models etc.