Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod Suggestion (River)  (Read 4597 times)

DB

Rod Suggestion (River)
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »

Hi all! Sorry if this has been gone over before.  I have have a question on River Fishing in the Fraser, Harrison, all the way up to the Okanagan area!

I have fished my whole life mostly for rainbows and out in the ocean past the Island..ect I have all my Flyrods and Lake gear.

But for Salmon Season, I'm going to make 3-5 trips down the coast from the Okanagan every year and try some river fishing including some up here too. My question for a rod is, if I'm starting out spending 100-200$ range what would be the best versatile rod for "all" the runs (Type, Length, Line LB...ECT) and any suggestions on Spinning Cast vs Baitcaster (with a trigger)

P.S.

I have a "Delta™ Series Casting" but it's a bait caster with no trigger relase so you have to thumb it every time which I find annoying. It has 50 pound braided line. I find it a little big and heavy though, What what this be best for?

thanks!

Animal Chin

Re: Rod Suggestion (River)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »

I was lucky enough to find a rod I liked right away, in other words not a lot of experience with a lot of rods. And mainly LML systems. I prefer to use baitcasting setups for river (float) fishing.

I don't like being undergunned, but I like a med-lite to medium rod with a "fast action". I think this gives the rod more backbone but it's light in weight and fun to fish. 10'6".

I've never really got into many springs (well..one colored up one..but big), mostly pinks, coho, chum and steelhead and never felt undergunned.

I have a St. Croix Avid ($260), paired with a Daiwa 253.. I "can" cast a 1/4 ounce spoon pretty far but it's best for float fishing and can cast anything above 3/4 ounce across the river. 2+ ounces can be done (ie. barfishing) but I was sweating a little about my rod tip, not ideal)

In your price range you'll hear Shimano Covergence and Abu Garcia C3. My buddy likes his. If it was me, I'd try the Fenwick HMX medium power ($150+/-). And think about getting a low profile baitcasting reel ... something like the Abu Black Max or the like ($50-60). IMO it's got enough line capacity, and you can use your thumb as additional drag. Easy to take apart and self service, I'm scared to take apart my Daiwa ...probably because of what it cost me.

I'd spend most of my money on the rod personally.

I like using mono mainline (Stren 17lb...15-20 your choice) and seaguar blue fluro leaders (15lb..or 8-15 your call..I like the abrasion resistance of a thicker leader, hate re-tying).

Go to SeaRun Fly and Tackle in Coquitlam if you need advice/friendly helpful service, they have the best selection of river float rods conveniently displayed. Wholesale sports in Langley is pretty good too for selection and price but it's less of a "boutique" experience.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:59:23 PM by Animal Chin »

Archer

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »

Love my Fenwick Canadian Methods 10'6 pole with an Abu Garcia C3 6500. Great for the river.  Slayed many Chums last fall to break it in.  Not havig much luck for Socks this season, though I have been mostly in Glenn Valley so its not a great spot of get into them.

featherchucker

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:21:47 PM »

Hi there, I work in the industry and it really depends on what you intend to do more. If you want to float fish with bait and such, then a level wind would be better than spin cast. If you want to just bottom bounce and throw spoons and spinners, then a spin rod and reel would be easier and better.If you want springs and bottom bounce for socks, then a medium heavy in 10 ft 6 is best, but for float fishing and spinn fishing then a med action in 10'6 would be good.If bottom bouncing I would stay away from low profile, low capacity reels and stick with at least an abu c3 or c4 in level wind and a 5000 series size in spinning reels.

DB

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »

Thanks for all the great replys, I'm picking up a Abu and I'll keep my
10.6 Med Heavy Rod as you all say that will work perfect!

For line on my Abu, would you go with a 20 or 30 mono? my current bait caster
has 50 pound braided line and only seems to work with anything 3oz or more on it,
if I had normal mono line would that be easier to spin out there then braided line? And for spring would you ever run into any problems not having braided, the people at the fishing store said I would need 50 braided but I'm starting to think that was for them just to make more money?

TheFishingLad

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »

Personally I use 15lb main line and 8lb leader with that set up. But I also fish for coho on 4lb line so it might be too light for your taste.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »

im using 20lb mono main and 12-15lb leader for springs and chums. Works very well. You shouldn't have a problem with springs as long as your not trying to horse them in.

Animal Chin

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »

If you told the guys at the store you were fishing for sockeye, then the braid suggestion is probably right as you'll likely be bottom bouncing.

For other river applications, I'd say use the lighter lines. I like mono, my limited experimentation with braid and float fishing was an excercise in frustration..but that could've been me. And I've landed steelhead and all types of salmon on 17lb mono mainline (sadly, only one spring though and it was not ocean fresh..but I'd be able to do it).

featherchucker

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »

definately braid for fishing the fraser but mono for other rivers and float fishing.50 or 65 lb braid will cast fine with 1oz or heavier betties. The mono won't last in bottom bouncing on the fraser.If you aren't getting distance then your magnetic casting break isn't adjusted properly for your wieght size.

losos

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »

Hi there, I work in the industry and it really depends on what you intend to do more. If you want to float fish with bait and such, then a level wind would be better than spin cast. If you want to just bottom bounce and throw spoons and spinners, then a spin rod and reel would be easier and better.If you want springs and bottom bounce for socks, then a medium heavy in 10 ft 6 is best, but for float fishing and spinn fishing then a med action in 10'6 would be good.If bottom bouncing I would stay away from low profile, low capacity reels and stick with at least an abu c3 or c4 in level wind and a 5000 series size in spinning reels.

Except you can get low profile level winder  such as Revo Toro Winch or Curado that have the same line capacity and maximum drag  resistance ,but those reels are on the expensive side.

losos

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »

Personally I use 15lb main line and 8lb leader with that set up. But I also fish for coho on 4lb line so it might be too light for your taste.
I used to use light lines too until realised that after long fight with fish I wasn't going to keep it was exhausted beyond any hope of recovery and chance of surviving.

Archer

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »

My Abu C3 has 50lb braided.  I need to respool with a nice 20-30lb, prolly go Mono this time. I spooled with 50lb braid whe I bought it last summer cause I figured I would do lots of BB'ing in Hope but I have only BB once with it, and BB'ing is boring to me.  A quality 20lb mono & 12lb leader will swiftly winch in chum or spring if tied good and not overused in the Fraser where it eats up the line.  I go with Maxgreen personally, there is a previous thread re: line choices from a couple months back.
Stick with your rod and get a C3. If you want to attempt a shore fished Sturgeon, you need a stronger reel, I use a Penn 320GT2 on a heavy Rapela rod. The Shimano Calcutta might handle a dino at full drag.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:22:55 AM by Archer »