Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floating: Tube or V-shaped  (Read 11654 times)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
Floating: Tube or V-shaped
« on: June 25, 2004, 07:44:57 PM »

What are your thoughts on getting a tube vs. a V-shaped float?

Sandhead

Re:Floating: Tube or V-shaped
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 03:24:07 PM »

I have a uboat and I find that I sit out of the water a little higher than most belly boats.
The uboat is also easier to get in and out of than a belly boat. Not that its overly hard to get into a belly boat.  My uboat isn't doesn't feel as stable leaning forward as a belly boat does.

The tubes for my u boat are way faster to inflate with a double action pump than the traditional bellyboat's inner tube and compressor.

Overall I don't think there is much difference. I'm happy with my uboat and my friends who have belly boats seem happy with there boats.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 04:45:15 PM »

Thanks, Sandhead.  Just wondering if you would be warmer in our cold waters, since with a uboat you are sitting higher and not in the water as much.

I guess as far as casting and control, you can cast better since you are sitting higher with uboat (not hitting the water as much), but then not as stable.

Sandhead

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 11:01:14 PM »

I use my float tube from April to October and have really had no problem with my legs being overly cold.  I have waders that don’t leak and that helps a lot. My U-boat only sits a few inches higher than the traditional belly boats so I really don't think I'm benefiting in the casting department :)

If I were to get another one I would probably get whatever I could for the best price and spend the extra money on a good set of fins. I use a set of force fins to push me around. They cost a bit more, but are the best fin I’ve ever used.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

otto

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 11:05:20 PM »

are the FORCE fins the ones with the forked flats on them???

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 11:26:39 PM »

I use my float tube from April to October and have really had no problem with my legs being overly cold.  I have waders that don’t leak and that helps a lot. My U-boat only sits a few inches higher than the traditional belly boats so I really don't think I'm benefiting in the casting department :)

If I were to get another one I would probably get whatever I could for the best price and spend the extra money on a good set of fins. I use a set of force fins to push me around. They cost a bit more, but are the best fin I’ve ever used.

I have read A LOT of good things about Force fins.  I, being on budget, am looking at Cabela's Creek Co. float & fins for US$50 here

Sandhead

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 09:33:26 AM »

The Force Fins are the one with the fork in the them, They kinda of look like a snake's tongue.

That deal at cabela's is smoking! Your getting a tube and fins for less than the price of a set of force fins.  Good Find.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 10:26:21 AM »

The Force Fins are the one with the fork in the them, They kinda of look like a snake's tongue.

That deal at cabela's is smoking! Your getting a tube and fins for less than the price of a set of force fins.  Good Find.

I have done some price comparsions between Cabela and local flyshops.  After dollar conversion on tubes, still half price!!  Why do we have to pay ssoo much!!

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 10:43:17 AM »

I've got both (tube and U) but I would save my money if I were you and buy a quality pontoon boat instead.  Trust me, if you really get into fly fishing you will wish you had one of these (I don't fish enough to justify the cost :'().

I'll agree with the previous post, the U boat does not feel as stable (probably because your center of gravity is higher).

Good luck with your purchase.

(Oh, btw, force fins rule...used both types of fins and LOVE the force fins...)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 11:14:03 AM »

A side question.  Can you use breathable waders with the float tubes.  Someone told me they would wear out from friction with the tube, and neoprene is better.