Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should rescuee's have to pay for Search and Rescue  (Read 10654 times)

speycaster

Re: Should rescuee's have to pay for Search and Rescue
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 01:46:01 PM »

I was not being sarcastic at all. I think that I stated it quite well when I said "I am not my fellow mans Keeper". I do not think that I can be any more honest that that. If you are going to be stupid and put your life at risk without considering the consequences , then I consider that you are trying to commit suicide and I am a firm believer in every persons right to decide how they die. If you are going to get drunk and die on a beach from alcohol poisoning or from heat then get out of your predicament the same way you got into. You will not get any help from me. There are lots of replacement people around, probably some who are more benefit to society that the drunk on Wreck Beach. I know that I would not be affected by his dying. People going into the area behind Mt. Seymour in November dressed in shorts, running shoes and nothing else should not be rescued with taxpayers dollars. To me they are trying to commit suicide and they should not be deterred in their effort.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »

Well I'm glad there are folks like Bent Rods and S&R who feel life is a priority.

I'll fully admit people do dumb things, myself included.  I do find wishing death or suffering to those that are ignorant or make mistakes very, very creepy.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »

Kudos to Bent Rods - you'll be my first recommendation for a guide service.

SAR did another fabulous job - and even though I don't take part in this fishery - hats off to them!
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

speycaster

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 04:30:11 PM »

Cuttthroat22, I am not wishing death on anyone. I am just saying that everyone is responsible for their own life. If they wish to shorten it by bad judgement or stupidity, that is their choice and I would not want to dispute it. I am an old guy ( 74 years of age ) , I did lots of things that could have killed me. I went into the Algonquin Park in the summer of 1949,I was 9 years old, I was gone for three weeks with a 12 year old cousin. We both survived. Why? Because we were knowledgeable about living in the bush at that age. No mommy to drive us to school, no SAR looking for us after 3 days. I come from a background of looking after yourself and not counting on someone else to hold your hand. Take care of yourself or die has been my motto for all these years and I do not see any reason to hold someone else's hand if they cannot take care of themselves. If they have an accident that is a different thing but if they go some where not prepared for the weather or decide to get drunk and lay on a beach and die of heatstroke then they had better be prepared to take care of their own predicament because they WILL not get any help from me , not even a 911 call.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:00:43 AM by speycaster »

bald_seagull

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »

they guy who floated over to the bar thursday with his belly boat dug the channel

VA7DDP

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 10:31:53 PM »

One of the issues is that people will be hesitant too call sar's due to the price, and may risk their life's and others by not wanting to make the call due to having to pay.

speycaster

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 08:04:05 PM »

If they only value their lives at the rescue rate then maybe it is best if they are left to their own ability to save themselves.   ;D

rustybee

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »

I am of the opinion that people that need SAR rescue are not only endangering their own lives, but also those of the rescuers. As such, they need to either be fined or volunteering their time doing community work in the event that they have zero ability to pay.

If they only value their lives at the rescue rate then maybe it is best if they are left to their own ability to save themselves.   ;D

Haha. So true.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »

a lot of SAR is volunteer based, people who are willing to go out 24-7 to help people out of their own pockets a lot of the time, I've done some SAR training (a lot of family are former SAR) and trust me, they do it to help others, knowing mistakes happen, accidents happen, and the sheer fact you cant predict the future of an excursion.   that and what ever portion of SAR isnt volunteer driven, its military based.   

SAR works off donations to keep vehicles and safety equipment running and up to date, pay for necessary training etc.   and a lot of people who have been helped by SAR do wind up donating.

speycaster

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »

I think that you should check your facts correct before making a statement like that Ezio, here in the boundary the vast majority do not. Drunks that wander off into the bush from campsites should be left to their own resources. There is nothing that will curb a person's excess drinking like a Grizzly french kissing them. ;D

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 12:43:28 PM »

Even the most experience and prepared people can be caught in a total @#$! storm, everything that can go wrong will go wrong or has gone wrong. So no I don't believe they should. Most Search and Rescue is volunteer isn't it?
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »

I think that if an area is clearly marked as "Caution Do Not Enter", "Danger Enter At Own Risk", "Water Levels May Rise Rapidly Without Warning" or something along those lines the people disobeying those signs should be fined for. Especially when they are putting volunteers at risk to come and save their asses >:( I believe it's different if you're hiking and lose your way, but people who clearly ignore signs put out for their own protection are just asking for it.

speycaster

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 07:10:36 AM »

What about the person lacking in intelligence  that thinks it is a good idea to leave for a hike on the backside of Seymour at 11.00 HRs  dressed in running shoes, shorts and a T-shirt in the middle of November? ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:12:13 AM by speycaster »

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »

What about the person lacking in intelligence  that thinks it is a good idea to leave for a hike on the backside of Seymour at 11.00 HRs  dressed in running shoes, shorts and a T-shirt in the middle of November? ;D
LOL that fine individual is in the "special" pile haha