Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fall Chinook  (Read 2669 times)

kevzabob

Fall Chinook
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »

How is the fall chinook run for this year going to be.
I take it bar fishing is the best method.
Is the lower Fraser area below Mission good for these
Runs.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fall Chinook
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »

the River usually doesn't open until around Thanksgiving by which time  a lot of the fall white springs have moved up river to the Harrison and Vedder. I haven't bar fished much in many years but when I did I don't recall taking many jacksprings - mostly coho jacks and some adult fish. Not saying it can't be done but you'd be better off bar fishing higher up or on the tributaries.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »

Before the bait ban for salmon fishing comes in effect right after the September long weekend, good chinook jack fishing can be experienced in the Tidal Fraser River. By the time the bait ban is lifted around early October, it's usually too late to find any chinook or jacks as most are already in the tributaries. This year, although the bait ban will still come in effect, the sockeye salmon fishery is expected to continue until the second or third week of September so chinook salmon retention should also remain open (check the regulations as we get into September). You should be able to catch the odd one by casting and retrieving lures as people do from time to time while fishing for pink salmon during September in odd years.

Voyager

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »

Looking at fishing sites for Wash. and Oregon rivers they use a rotating flasher behind a drop weight with a kwikfish or flatfish, some times with bait or scent, has anyone tried this or is water clarity more of an issue on the lower Fraser, thinking of trying this out of my Hobie kayak.

kevzabob

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 09:02:58 PM »

Before the bait ban for salmon fishing comes in effect right after the September long weekend, good chinook jack fishing can be experienced in the Tidal Fraser River.
Should I just cast out a roe sack and reel in slow, or bar fish with a rig

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 09:49:26 PM »

If you are fishing bait, you're casting and anchoring it.