Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying fresh tuna from the dock in Vancouver  (Read 8638 times)

Mr Z

Buying fresh tuna from the dock in Vancouver
« on: August 09, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »

Hello,

I know a couple of places around Vancouver where you can buy fresh shrimp and Salmon from the dock when they are in season but I was wondering if there was any good place to buy Albacore Tuna?

There's a spot in Seattle so I was wondering if we get some commercial fishermen of tuna to dock in Vancouver as well or if the all work off Vancouver Island.

Thanks for the advice.

Fishawn

Re: Buying fresh tuna from the dock in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:31:19 PM »

I bought frozen whole albacore from a boat at Steveston last year.  Just make sure you google a video on how to filet, as the bone structure is very different from a salmon.

Hope this helps.

Mr Z

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »

Great thanks I didn't know you can get tuna too from Steveston.

Yes I'm familiar with the filleting approach. I was considering trying to do my own canned tuna this year.

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »

Good Luck finding fresh it's almost all F@S these days.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:40:31 AM »

I've bought a few tuna at Steveston before but they are all frozen at sea.  I think that's as "fresh" as it gets.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 12:46:19 AM »

Have you tried fisherman's warf at granville island?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 04:52:12 AM »

Don't they freeze the Tuna because they are warm blooded? They can't just bleed them and gut them like we do a salmon, they have to get the temperature of the flesh down so it doesn't start to degrade.

fisharoo

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 07:43:41 AM »

I've got a buddy who's bought from whole Tuna from Steveston for sashimi. They can run it through the ban saw for you when frozen. I feel big fish is a little more manageable if you are thawing it out in piece sizes that you can actually consume within a day or two. Definitely don't want to re-freeze.

Mr Z

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »

yeah having it, in smaller pieces would be handy. I don't think I can fit a whole albacore in my freezer :)

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 12:23:36 PM »

Don't they freeze the Tuna because they are warm blooded? They can't just bleed them and gut them like we do a salmon, they have to get the temperature of the flesh down so it doesn't start to degrade.
I fished Tuna many years ago on the Native Dawn 53 ' at the end of the salmon commercial season , we changed up on the trolling gear and off we went down off the Oregon, California coast a couple hundred miles out . The boat has a blast freezer down in the hold . After bringing in Tuna we cut the artery under the bottom gill and bleed them . They went down in the hold and put on the 4 x 4 plates and blast frozen then stacked in the holds .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

fisharoo

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 04:37:50 PM »

Anyone here done the Vancouver Island Tuna fishery? I hear it's starting soon. Most charters i've found are really expensive at the cost of a few grand. I guess because you have to travel so far offshore. Would love to find some charters that are more affordable.

clujalolo

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »

Tuna fishing is best fishing ive ever had. Have a buddy down in the states with a big boat and took me out with some friends. No limit, had 21 fish for 6-7 guys fishing. Took home three myself.
These fish need to be frozen asap as like someone posted they are warm blooded, they like the warmer waters so that meant we had go out 35miles west of the mouth of the columbia river.
 If your looking for a charter, go to the states i hear its really cheap as for what my friend said.  But these fish take HUGE dives and go for runs for ages. Id highly recommend doing it once.

Also the tuna is amazing eaten raw. Once you filet the fish, (4 quarter loins) clean up all the excess you get some prime fresh raw tuna.

As for bought from a fisherman, i dont see any difference as going to catch it cus you must throw the fish staright on the ice, plus its easier to skin and cut the loins off once its like half froz3n.

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »

Took a walk down to the Steveston wharf. Saw this sign for prices. Hope you can read it >15lbs is $3.50 a lb. under 15lbs is $4.00 a lb. Hope that helps in some way Mr. Z
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."