Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye etiquette  (Read 7268 times)

Rachid

sockeye etiquette
« on: August 05, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »

When Sockeye open on the Fraser River anglers seem to come out of the woodwork. If you want to take advantage of this fishery it’s a fact that you will be fishing with other anglers – in some cases MANY other anglers! The good news is that the Fraser is huge and there is room for everyone. Regardless, here’s a few tips to help everything go smoothly:

1. Know the rules before heading out. All the necessary information, including a species identification chart, is in the regulations, so read and understand it all before you head out.

2. Treat everyone on the bar as you would like to be treated.

3. Spread out. If the bar is full then either wait for an opening or go somewhere else.

4. Never cast your line on top of another’s line. Doing this will almost always result in a snags & tangles with the other person.

5. Always cast upstream but no higher than the person above you.

6. The person who is downstream should always cast first! This prevents lines from crossing and almost eliminates the potential of snags with other anglers. It also helps keep the casting flow going.

7. As you are reeling everything back in after your drift, keep your line and hook clear of people’s legs that are in the river. If you are getting close to people when reeling in then chances are you have over drifted. Shortening up the drift will solve the problem.

8. If you have a fish on your line let the people around you know that you may need space by …

a. If you think that you have a Chinook on – usually indicated by a big head shake followed by the immediate stripping out of a lot of your line, then shout “SPRING ON!” and start moving with it down the river if you have to … and you usually always have too.

b. If you think that you have a Sockeye or something else on, then shout “FISH ON!” so the people around you know what’s going on and can get there lines out of the water if need be. Typically, you should be able to bring a Sockeye in from where you are but it’s always nice to let people directly around you know what’s going on so don’t be shy.

9. If you are an inexperienced angler, or are fishing with inexperienced children, then crowded conditions are not your best bet. Try to find a spot clear of other people until you are confident in your casting/retrieving abilities. When sockeye are open for retention in the Fraser the river is usually full of them so finding a place where you won’t get your self in trouble should not be an issue.

10. Please pick up after your self and pack your garbage out with you when you leave. Better yet grab a bit extra to help keep our river clean ;)

Caring For Your Catch: Once you have caught a Sockeye and have dispatched it, cut or pull out a gill from both sides of the fish to allow it completely bleed out. Bleeding stops any bruising and improves the quality of the meat. As soon as the fish has finished bleeding, clean or dress it and immediately store it on ice in a cooler. We have seen many Sockeye stored unbled and uncleaned on the beach or in the shallows by the beach basically rotting in the sun. This is such an unnecessary waste! After all the effort and expense it takes to go fishing, it just makes good sense to make sure our catch comes home in the best condition possible.
  Good luck to everyone .

GordJ

Re: sockeye etiquette
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »

Great post.

Humpy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »

Excellent Post!  ;)
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »

A few more points:

1. When you hang up on the bottom, as assuredly you will, try to pull it off quickly but if that doesn't work, be prepared to break the line and get out of the way as soon as you can.  If you are using heavy line, it helps to have a stick or club handy to wrap the line on for the pull.  It saves your hands and reel from damage.  If you don't get out of the way quickly you will have a large tangle with everybody to resolve.
2. When you arrive and have to slot into the lineup, nobody is pleased to see you when it is crowded but as long as you are polite and don't push in too tight, most everybody is polite and cooperative.
3. When you tangle with your neighbor, be cheerful and make the best of it.
4. It you repeated tangle with you neighbors, you are probably doing something wrong like casting a different distance.  Try to keep your casts similar in distance to your neighbors.
5. Never cast over a line playing a fish.
6. If the crowding bugs you, remember that you chose to fish in this manner and in this location, same as the guys crowding you. Be cheerful and make the best of it.

rileym97

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:11:20 PM »

thanks for the post.
- a noob fraser fisher

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:59:57 PM »

In addition to these useful points, the Fraser Basin Council has developed a document with the Fraser River Peacemakers and other stakeholders like myself to guide new participants who wish to experience this fishery. The above points are only include dealing with fishing among recreational anglers, this document published also includes what you need to know about using the river with First Nations.

http://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/_Library/FVR/Communications_Backgrounder_Peacemakers_Fishing-Tips-2014.pdf

Included in this document is a map which some may find it useful. FBC developed it and has included lots of key features in it, like railway crossings, fishing bars, boat launches, First Nations Reserves.

http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=1016370&x=-121.694438&y=49.297281&z=7

ajransom

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »

Or.... fish for something else, somewhere else. Gonna be a zoo!!!! I'd prefer to avoid the whole situation...

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:58:48 PM »

Fantastic post for a newbie like myself. Probably saved me a bit of trouble!

Cheers.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »

Very nice to read this.A refreshing change from the finger pointing and sanctimonious holier than thou approach.Nice work.
Riverman

jacked55

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »

Well said.
Thank you.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 08:51:31 PM »

I can't over-emphasize the "rip it out or break it off" for snags... Some poor new guy today kept snagging up and then raking in 3-4 other people as he spent the next 2-3 minutes trying to "shake off" the snag.  He got so angry that people kept hanging up on his line...

I felt sorry for him.  Tried to tell him "just break it off" but he kept trying to "shake it off"  It was frustrating for all involved.

Perhaps an additional tip:   Take advice from the people around you that are getting their casts and retrieves working, if they offer it.

B.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 09:26:02 AM »

I was out yesterday for sockeye, took home my limit. I must say that i was pleasantly surprised by the attitudes and politeness of the people fishing the bar. It wasnt overly crowded where i was but i had nothing but good interactions with people. Even had one guy ask if I minded if he fished about 75 yards down stream from me. I thanked him for asking and of course told him to go right ahead.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 07:50:36 PM »

I too have been pleasantly surprised by the cooperation, and overall attitude of people so far.   Everyone's in good moods for the most part, polite, and have always been understanding when someone hooks up on anothers line.   When someone has a fish on, Nearly everyone below will stop fishing till the fish has been landed, People are always giving others a helping hand if need be.   Its a good thing to see.   And It makes the time trying to catching your fish much more enjoyable.

lovetofish

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »

I too have been pleasantly surprised by the cooperation, and overall attitude of people so far.   Everyone's in good moods for the most part, polite, and have always been understanding when someone hooks up on anothers line.   When someone has a fish on, Nearly everyone below will stop fishing till the fish has been landed, People are always giving others a helping hand if need be.   Its a good thing to see.   And It makes the time trying to catching your fish much more enjoyable.

I am not surprised by this at all. I have found this the norm over the years.  People helping people landing fish, taking them out in the boat after a spring if needed, helping with boats, advice on where to fish and where the snags are.  Very rarely are there disagreements.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »

Its all dependent on where you fish, what bars you fish etc.