Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: U-catch allowing fly fishing  (Read 10457 times)

nicfillion

U-catch allowing fly fishing
« on: July 26, 2014, 01:17:08 AM »

Hi,

I'm trying to convince my friend to come fish with me at some point and I was thinking that a good way to get her hooked would be to go at a U-catch place. Are there any near Vancouver (say, within an hour drive from Burnaby) that allow fly fishing?

Thanks,
Nic

Ry the fly guy

Re: U-catch allowing fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:54:23 AM »

I have no idea what a u-catch is would you mind explaining it?

nicfillion

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 02:55:16 AM »

Sorry for the lack of clarity! By U-catch I meant a place where they have a few ponds with stocked farm fish. Typically you don't even need a license to fish there (since it's basically a fish farm) and it's basically impossible not to catch something. I found a place online (http://www.fishbctrout.com/) but they don't allow fly rods... any suggestion?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:01:41 AM »

The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery Visitor Centre has two learn to fish ponds. Although the program primarily targets children and families, it also caters special groups and open fishing sessions are available (check their calendar). Give them a call to see if fly fishing is permitted in some sessions.

http://gofishbc.com/about-us/what-we-do/fish-hatcheries/fraser-valley-visitor.aspx

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »

I know there are two u catch locations out in the valley. One is on bradner road, and one is in mission. Don't know the names or exact addresses, Google is your friend.

ajransom

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »

The one in mission is called "Sun Valley Park". They have two ponds, a U catch pond for bait fishing where you can keep the fish, and a much smaller fly fishing pond. If you go and talk to the owners, you might be able to get access to the u catch pond (which is much better), before it opens for bait fishing in the morning. Worth a try, they were very nice when I met them (was looking to teach a friend to fly fish in a place where it was impossible NOT to catch a fish).

Here is the website: http://www.campingfishingbc.com/p/u_catch_u_fish

nicfillion

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 12:16:24 AM »

Thank you all!

And thanks in particular to ajransom! That's exactly what I was looking for, and just like you my though was that it's impossible not to catch in a place like that! I'll give it a shot!

Cheers,
Nic

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 11:55:58 AM »

http://www.ucatchbc.com/

This is the one in mission I was thinking of, it has Steelhead sized trout in one pond.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »

Ponds at the Abbotsford trout hatchery.
Open fishing is $10, impossible to not catch them on a fly.

Most you catch ponds charge per fish caught... If that's not the case, compare prices, Abby is $10 for 2 hours of straight fishing.

ajransom

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:43:15 PM »

Abby trout hatchery is probably your best bet. I forgot about the non catch and release issue. You keep what u catch and pay for the fish to take home.

Another alternative is to wait for fall stockings of local lakes and go a couple of hours after they stock. You will catch lots of fish and can choose to release or keep what u like.

Obviously you need a licence, but the $ goes to a worthy cause.

Danny Coombs

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »

Go to www.ucatchbc.com for sure.

The old guy there is awesome and will teach you a thing or two. And as nicfillion the fish are massive in one pond.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »

I've been to the one on Bradner with my daughter and the owner is very strict about no C&R and bait with treble hooks only.  He did eventually allow me to use my own spin gear.  Otherwise you will need to use their gear which is basically a heavy bamboo pole with 30 lb test mono tied to it (no reel) and a barbed treble hooks with bait.

The Colebrook Trout farm located on Colebrook road in Surrey also has U catch and is less strict.  It seemed like he was ok with using fly gear though I never tried it.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 07:02:54 AM »

I've been to the one on Bradner with my daughter and the owner is very strict about no C&R and bait with treble hooks only.  He did eventually allow me to use my own spin gear.  Otherwise you will need to use their gear which is basically a heavy bamboo pole with 30 lb test mono tied to it (no reel) and a barbed treble hooks with bait.

The Colebrook Trout farm located on Colebrook road in Surrey also has U catch and is less strict.  It seemed like he was ok with using fly gear though I never tried it.

Interesting, the Bradner rd guy never had a problem with my kids using their own spinning gear.  He just wanted to inspect the line to ensure it would break off, and the hooks had to be barbed to endure the fish did not fall off.
Not all those who wander are lost

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »

maybe a different owner or manager or maybe he's mellowed out a bit?

SPEYMAN

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »

Maybe the "no fly fishing" is because of the casting angle. Liability issue of someone walking behind a fly caster and hooking someone or some thing?