Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orvis Clearwater vs. Orvis Pro Guide Stretch wading jackets  (Read 7149 times)

vandenhooff

I'm looking at purchasing a new wading jacket, either the Orvis Clearwater or Orvis Pro Guide Stretch. The regular prices for these jackets are (USD):
Pro Guide Stretch $395
Clearwater is $198
So twice as much for the Pro Guide Stretch. That said I can purchase a Pro Guide Stretch for $249.

Typical fishing locations: Chehalis, Vedder and Fraser.

If there are any FWR members out there that own, or have owned either jacket, I'd be interested to read your comments.

Thank in advance for your comments,
Dennis

Orvis' stock photos:
Clearwater

Pro Guide Stretch

slick vic

Re: Orvis Clearwater vs. Orvis Pro Guide Stretch wading jackets
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:12:28 AM »

Pro guide has been out on the market for a while now and the price you can get for it is much cheaper than the listed price. On eBay you can probably find one @ around $250 + shipping. I had mine for a few seasons and it did it's job keeping me dry and the most important feature I liked about it is the 'water tight'cuffs. Well, they say it's water tight but there'll still be some water gets in your sleeves when you fishing in pouring rain or when you dip your hands in water when releasing fish. They used a bit heavier material when constructing this jacket and they stand strong for me when bush whacking. Sizing is true and it fits me comfortably. All in all, I'd give a 7 out of 10 for it. I had simms G4 jacket before and the simms is much lighter and stylish compared to the orvis but the zippers are not waterproof and the cuffs are not either. So on a rainy day like we had yesterday my two sleeves would be soaked with water and if you don't dry them well they'll stink and that's a total disappointment to me lol. New G4 is coming out soon maybe they did something to overcome that problem. Anyways, if you can get the orvis at $250 or cheaper I'd go for it.

Happy fishing always
SV

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:47:54 AM »

Take a look at the warranty on both as well, I'm going to guess the Pro Guide may have a better warranty than the Clearwater. Isn't the Clearwater line from Orvis their basic / introductory stuff, go with the higher line...

fishfinder

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »

So on a rainy day like we had yesterday my two sleeves would be soaked with water and if you don't dry them well they'll stink and that's a total disappointment to me lol.

A friend had the Orvis Clearwater and the jacket stunk so bad at the cuffs that it was not wearable after several years. Once the cuffs start to stink the smell will stick to everything you are wearing under the jacket (your fleece, sweater, shirt) and they start to reek as well. Washing it won't get the smell out.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:58:08 PM »

While the pro guide jacket does look nice, I don't think its worth the money considering its not Gore-Tex.

For the same money, I'd much rather go for the Simms guide jacket.

http://www.backwoods.com/simms-mens-guide-jacket?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=31067

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »

Just because a product is not Gore-Tex (read Simms, as I believe they have exclusive rights to gore-tex for fishing) does not mean it is inferior.

Look at Patagonia, they do not use Gore-Tex and yet they have excellent (and expensive) gear.

Same with Orvis, their waders do not use Gore-Tex and are quite good.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »

The Clearwater label for Orvis is made in China. Just saying, a lot of manufactures are made there and good products come from there, but... It's their less expensive brand for a reason.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 06:50:50 PM »

The Clearwater label for Orvis is made in China. Just saying, a lot of manufactures are made there and good products come from there, but... It's their less expensive brand for a reason.

Even the expensive Simms G4 jackets are made in China too..

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »

Just because a product is not Gore-Tex (read Simms, as I believe they have exclusive rights to gore-tex for fishing) does not mean it is inferior.

Look at Patagonia, they do not use Gore-Tex and yet they have excellent (and expensive) gear.

Same with Orvis, their waders do not use Gore-Tex and are quite good.

Gortex is one of the best breathable technical fabrics available.  I'm not sure what Orvis uses but according to this review, it may be something like Toray 

http://www.tackletour.com/revieworvisproguidejacket.html

Toray is used on Simms Freestone line of waders.  Here is a review of the Simms guide from the same website:  http://www.tackletour.com/reviewsimmsguide.html

Both jackets can be found at prices lower than listed.  Orvis makes a nice jacket (I've actually tried both) but for a little extra money, you get more features like built in retractors and extra pockets on the Simms jacket.  The orvis jacket seems a bit minimalist to me.

Btw, Cabelas also makes wading jackets in goretex.

I have a G3 guide jacket an I am very happy with it so far.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 04:50:54 PM »

Btw, Cabelas also makes wading jackets in goretex.

Cabelas also uses Gore-Tex in their Hunting jackets, rain jackets, gloves shoes etc.

They are not a fishing brand.  Instead they are a big block store that sells clothes with their name on it.  They are probably licensed differently then brands like Simms, Orvis, Sage, Frogg Toggz etc...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:16:20 PM by clarkii »

vandenhooff

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »

thanks all