Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not Good  (Read 3365 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Not Good
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:41:34 PM »

Move them inland.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »

Thanks for the link - she writes a good letter

Yes, move them inland in raised pens or something.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »

Tis the season for controversy - not a big surprise given that the spotlight has shifted away from Ms Morton. It was brave of her to mention that bogus study done with Volpe and Price regarding fish processing (Walcan). Funny she didn't mention that wild salmon are processed at the same facility....or why the authors of the study didn't sample during wild salmon processing for comparative work....or that wild salmon being processed have sea lice and likely IHNv.

norton

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »

Get rid of them altogether. You can eat the crap. It's full of chemicals, dye to make it look like salmon, and it's not sustanable. They kill other fish to make feed for them.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »

Get rid of them altogether. You can eat the crap. It's full of chemicals, dye to make it look like salmon, and it's not sustanable. They kill other fish to make feed for them.
If the government would put  more money into looking after our wild fish instead of helping the FF at the drop of a hat they would be doing some good. Maybe a change of government come 2015 will help but I thought that on the last change over.

Look at my pictures on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page and you will see hundred's of people out there enjoying themselves this past while in the hope of catching a nice wild black mouth. I fished 3 days last week without a bite after the last trip losing 4 but it was still great camping and socializing with others, I never understand why people would buy FFF for the reason you list.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 11:32:26 PM »

It appears as though the culprit in this case was likely a toxic algal bloom. Nothing wrong with Alexandra Morton asking questions about why these farmed fish from Greig were dying; in fact 3 of the 4 were not bad questions, but the problem that I have with her letter is that while she is asking questions she is coming up with her own conclusions by very passively throwing in things which could very well be red herrings.

Her own analysis of the situation is suspect at best. Morton does a plankton tow for 10 minutes and says that the water was quite clear, no sign of a heavy algae bloom, but never mentions that the bloom could have mostly dissipated by the time she arrived to do her "sampling" (no real details provided).  She even said herself in her letter that this this has been going on for weeks.  In her follow-up post there doesn't even seem to be a V8 moment where she even considers the possibility of a toxic algae bloom.  There is not even an understanding of distribution or occurrence of these toxic algae blooms nor the environmental conditions that come into play to make it happen. Did she care to take a look at the current literature regarding toxic algae blooms off our coast?  The occurrence of these algae blooms was brought up in testimony at Cohen - where Morton was a participant.  If she wasn't so focused on aquaculture she would likely have a better understanding of other factors involved.

In my opinion, the letter was primarily meant to try to embarrass Greig instead of seeking information, but it was also meant to regain some of the spotlight that has shifted away from her since Cohen.  In her letter she said, "Your staff onsite were very professional", well....maybe Morton's letter should have been a little more professional.

http://www.seafoodnews.com/Story/938467/Plankton-bloom-kills-off-40000-farmed-Atlantic-salmon-at-Griegs-Vancouver-Island-operation

Good study for some background information on Heterosigma akashiwo:
http://www.sfu.ca/grow/science/resources/1288805500.pdf
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:34:59 PM by shuswapsteve »