Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trolling in kayak at ambleside  (Read 3911 times)

Tenz85

Trolling in kayak at ambleside
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:29:15 PM »

I was trolling at Ambleside in my new to me nucanoe the other day. Nothing seen nothing heard as usual around the Cap except for whispers of fish caught in the past weeks or jumpers that don't bite..

I started 3 hours before high tide and finished 1 hour after. The current at ambleside beach was OK but as soon as I past the bouy marker at the cap's mouth the current kept pushing me upstream and onto the beach near the native reserve. I recall this was the case even after high tide. Made trolling very difficult and me very tired.

I saw another yak which had pedal drive cruising around seemlessly but noticed he would cruise near shore around the mouth. Wasn't sure if he moved quickly because of the pedal drive or because its easier to move near shore. Can anyone elaborate on the currents there and what I was doing wrong?

Also, had some bad line twist  with my trolling setup. Done some googling and searching to realize I should let line out  by pulling the spinning reel drag but wasn't sure it it was attributed to anything else. Almost lost a flasher because the line snapped luckily it wrapped itself around my mainline and I saved 10$. Did lose a $5 trolling spoon though.

My trolling rig was mainline, 3-4 oz weight on slider, 2beads, beads swivle, 25# fluro leader to flasher, 25# leader to lure.  I used a large swivle from the first leader attached to flasher and small swivle on the leaders attached to the lures.

Sorry for the long write up, would post on a yak site but this forum is more busy and my go to.  thanks for your help, Tenz.

Editted above leader to lure (not leader to leader)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:21:01 PM by Tenz85 »

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Trolling in kayak at ambleside
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »

If you were fishing coho i would go with 6#leader.

vandenhooff

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »

I don't know much about fishing from a yak but it sure looks like fun. Current in that area, especially the closer you get to the Lions Gate Bridge, can get fierce. Be careful Tenz85 and good luck on your next outing.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 10:38:02 AM »

Try jigging with a buzz bomb instead. Works better.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Tenz85

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »

Being careful is always great advice when it comes to fast moving water. Even thought I had a super stable yak, life jacket, timed the tides with my outing and got my boat smartcard, I still didnt account for reducing all risks, such as the directions of currents at different points and many more things I'm sure.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.
I wasn't sure about the leader strength for coho as I usually use 8-12 lbs for drift fishing but recall reading thicker leader was necessary for trolling due to line twist or another reason.. Maybe I mixed what what I read though..

Will have to try jigging buzz bombs and casting spoons once I anchor but I'm also a bit precaution about anchoring in tidal waters..

Definetly going to do more reading up on kayak and trolling before another hard unsuccessful paddle at Ambleside. Maybe will do some crabbing or go drift fishing for springers. On a side note for salmon fishing, I landed my first red spring the other day late afternoon. Wasnt sure if springs turning a bit red were okay at the time so I release it and sent it to finish its mission. Tight lines.

Alomar

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »

Good for you that's awesome!