Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: inflatible boat inspection and looking for electric motor advice  (Read 6420 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?

First off guys----  you have been so helpful acquiring a boat. 

I just got my hands on a 11 foot hypalon achilies..    I haven't taken it out yet but picked it up for a great price across the border.

I do want someone to take a look at it.   The owner said it had no leaks.. but... cmon right...

SO I am wondering if anyone knows a place I cant take it to so they can give it a good inpection and do any patches if needed.  or do you think I should take it to a small lake like Lafarge and see if it deflates.

also in the market for a trolling motor.    I have my heart set on the 55 lb minn kota endura maxx.   does anyone have this.. do you really get that much more life out of a battery. or do I get a cheaper minn kota..... also where does everyone get the batteries for.. do you use a gel cell or a deep cycle...

cant wait to hit up the lakes on the boat... probably never going to fish from shore again!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:54:24 PM by jettabambino »
see ya on the river

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: inflatible boat inspection and looking for electric motor advice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 08:30:24 PM »

It's really pretty easy. Get yourself a spray bottle and fill it with soapy water set the nozzle to spray. Inflate the boat until it is hard but you depress the side with a bit of pressure. Spray the boat all over with the solution in the spray bottle then look for bubbles.

The traditional test is to inflate and leave the boat for 24 hours. Some pressure may be lost but that's ok for an older hypalon boat. try that if you have a secure space like a basement or locked garage.

Places you can take your boat for repair:

i have heard good things about Ken Greeley in Langley 604-514-9975

These guys in White Rock may be worth contacting:  http://www.mutinyinflatables.com/

the oldest shop is  Kits Inflatables but I had repairs there lately and wasn't thrilled with the cost or that it took 4 weeks after being told it would be a few days. My boat wasn't well handled while it was there either.

there are other place around Greater Vancouver and google will help.

I have both a PVC and hypalon boat and have found hypalon is fairly easy to repair - but you do need time and space. Lot's of info on the web on DIY repairs.

Also look into Kirch's Kwik Patch for the those times you get to the lake or whatever and have an unexpected leak. It can save a day or a whole week.

http://www.patchngo.com/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:31:46 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »

I was going to take it to a local small lake... Like Lafarge and fish in it for a day... but I will do the spray bottle.. its 11 ft long.. so its going to take a bit.. but hell  why not

I had people tell me it makes no difference if you lose a bit of air in a hypalon.. why is that?

any recommends on a trolling motor.. do I need a 55 lb motor or would a 40 do... as its considerabley cheaper and I am not looking to break any speed records here....
see ya on the river

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:01:25 AM »

I have a 10ft Zodiac and a 12ft Achilles. My 40lb Endura would push the 10 footer well but was much slower with the 12ft. I now have a 50lb Maximizer (Costco special) and it pushes the 12 footer much better.
If you are using the motor to run at top speed from place to place then the Maximizer feature won't help with battery life. If you are trolling or motoring slowly (i.e. sight fishing) then it will make a big difference.
Costco currently has a 44lb EnduraMax motor with charger for $260, which should work fine with your boat.
http://www.costco.ca/Endura-MAX-44-36-in.-Trolling-Motor-with-MK105-Charger-Included.product.100114970.html?catalogId=11201&keyword=kota&langId=-24&storeId=10302

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 07:14:22 AM »

55 lb maximizer is so much heavier than 40 or 44 lb. Take this in consideration as well.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 07:36:58 AM »

55 lb maximizer is so much heavier than 40 or 44 lb. Take this in consideration as well.

Both motors have a shipping weight of 26.5 lbs. The deep cycle battery weight dominates anyways.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »

Well.  I cleaned her up today....   Found a hole and some wear spots.   So I I will get it repaired
see ya on the river

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »

i have a Endura Max 55 and i use it on my 16ft alum jet. moves it along ok. on your 11ft i think it will move really good. feels alot larger than my old 40 thrust minn kota which i use on the car topper. i only run deep cycle batts.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »

Anyone know where i can get oars for a 12 ft Achilles inflatable locally? 

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 01:38:41 PM »

Anyone know where i can get oars for a 12 ft Achilles inflatable locally?
Try them:
http://www.kitsinflatables.com/contact-us/
They repaired my Achilles air floor under warranty.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:16:45 PM »

wow... so I called kits inflatibles.... and I have never expected this ...

I told the guy answering the phones what I bought and how much I bought it for and he said... I think you got a hot boat...I let him know that the person actually had the original box and its not brand new.. He said.. still .. I think its stolen ... whats the serial number... WTF...

anyway.. I told him I wasn't infront of the boat .. because I am not.. and that I was wondering how much it is to patch the hole I found... well.... his answer..

How am I supposed to know... I don't know what the hole looks like.. how big... that's a real stupid question...

I said... Have a good day.. I will spend my money elsewhere...

his answer... That's fine because I have a line up of other customers...

WOW..
see ya on the river