Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchering question  (Read 4254 times)

Tommybuckles

Butchering question
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »

Looking to start hunting in the near future and had some newbie questions.

Wondering what butcher people like using? I know many seasoned hunters prefer to hang and butcher their own meat. But at this stage in the game I don't have the guts to do it (no pun intended). Perhaps down the road that could become a possibility.

I know that once the deer is gutted it should be taken back to camp, skinned and hung. But what if a deer is harvested on the last day of the trip? Can it be taken straight to the butcher after being gutted with the skin on and without being hung for a few days etc?

Last question. What about timing? What if you are on the way back from a trip and the butcher is closed? Can you call ahead? Make an appointment? Or should you be ready to hang it at home?

Sorry if these are basic questions. But it's nice to gather advice from those that have been there.

Thanks!

Humpy

Re: Butchering question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »

Post these questions on HuntingBC, you will find your answers much quicker.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

scuntor

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »

Butcher will hang it for you. Does not need to hang in camp if it's your last day. Some skin if for an extra charge but I think they would rather not have to do it. Best to call a butcher and find out hours and if they accept after hours drop off. Good time of year to make some calls or visits some butchers to get some info. Don't wait until you have an animal down to figure out where you are taking it. Best to make sure they will have room in their cooler for your game.

I like Sumas meats in Abbotsford. Ullie is great to deal with.

Tommybuckles

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I'm just in the planning stages gathering info and doing research. There is a lot to learn for sure and when it comes to harvesting an animal the last thing I want is to be operating without a game plan. I will take your advice and start phoning around to butchers to see how they prefer to do business.

Thanks!