Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sink tip for vedder  (Read 8840 times)

koifish

sink tip for vedder
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »

i mostly fish the train bridge and keith wilson

i know there where springs in that spot ive been fishing there for hours since i knew the springs where chilling therre my dad comes there give a cast 10mins BAM he had one on then 5-10mins again he got another so i know where i was fishing there where springs but im assuming my linedidnt go down to deep? he was using gear
i was using type 6 which sinks at a rate of 6-7ips

which line should i get how many ips?
so should i get the AVID 24FT SINKING TIP from rio http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/sink-tip/avid-24ft-sinking-tip/

o r24FT SINKING TIP http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/sink-tip/24ft-sinking-tip/

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: sink tip for vedder
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »

I use T11 and T14 with my Spey rod.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »

I use T11 and T14 with my Spey rod.

Exactly !

Koifish - head into M&Y and get yourself two tips made up out of T11 & T14. Good all around lengths would be between 10-15'. I like longer ones for single handed casting and shorter (10-12') for spey casting depending on rod length. Buying bulk T material will save you a lot of money

Here is a sort of chart on the sink rates of T (tungsten) sink tip material
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

koifish

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »

I don't have a spey rod will it still work,?  It's a 7 or 8wt rod though

How much are  t11 and t14?

Why wouldn't you recommend the Rio stuff? Is it  price? Or is it better to use the tungsten  Thanks Hook
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:22:05 PM by koifish »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »

Fred's has their own sink tips, work just as well for a good price.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »

I would never suggest a proper fly line for river applications because then you are stuck to only that sink rate. Its better to buy something like the Versa Tip line system so you can switch off tips to what you need.

I use the same T material tips for my spey rod and my single hander as I need them. They do take a little getting used to because of the mass of them but one false cast and then a big shoot will usually be plenty. Tungsten tips sink fast especially if your mending properly.

Part of the other reason is cost. Buying bulk material which sinks at the same rate of a premade will save you a lot of money. Of course you cant get Tungsten stuff lighter than T7 (6"/second). Then you would be looking at buying the premade "type" sink tips and clear intermediate (these tips come with your line in a versa tip set) premade tips are anywhere from $20-30 EACH !!
Check out our new blog

ajransom

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »

Go to Michael and Young. They sell both Rio and Airflo in bulk. Just bought some Rio, 75 cents per foot. They guys will also put a loop on the end for you so you can loop-to-loop tips into your floating line. In addition to T11 and T14, I would also get T8 too, especially for slower pools. For around $30 you will be able to get all three tips, with loops, and you will be ready for any situation.

koifish

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »

will do guys!!
thanks

koifish

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »

I bought T14  it's so heavy it was 10 bucks at Fred's
It's hard to cast it it's pretty heavy I was at  the vedder on monday maybe it will be easier if the water was down but it was fairly hard it's 10 foot sinktip I forgot to  get the 15 instead

I'll buy t11 next time I just told the guy T14 and asked how many foot and  said 10
Do I need to tell them my weight of my fly rod? Does it make a difference?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »

of course its heavy !! its 14 grains per foot which is 140grains in just your sink tip but it'll sink like a rock and even faster with mending of the line. I did say it was going to be a bit of a chore to cast until you get the hang of it. I normally only do 1 false cast and then a large shoot when using heavy tips
Check out our new blog

koifish

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »

would it be easier to cast it with a 15foot sink tip? or would it be the same as a 10foot

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:04:42 AM »

The 10' length will be easier to cast.  Remember - the weight is grains per foot, not grains for the whole length. 

Think of "grains" as being tiny lead split shot hidden in the flyline tip.  The more "grains" per foot means more lead split shot per foot.  Having 15' of T14 will have 50% more grains / tiny lead split shot than a 10' length. 

As HOOK stated, they key is to minimize false casting.  Do one false cast, then "chuck and duck" the line out.  The weight of the tip should pull a large amount of your line out through the guides.

Also note that some rods will be better suited to this than others, depending on your casting style.  Stiffer "faster action" rods will generally be easier to deal with when casting T14, compared with "slower action" noodle rods.

Good luck!
Tex

koifish

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »

Sorry I'm  a newbie what's a Chuck and duck?  And a false cast?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 11:12:44 PM »

False Casting is when you are loading the rod (in other words basically a fly cast that you follow up with a back cast rather then letting land).

the chuck in duck means on the forward cast you duck so you do not take a weighted fly to the noggin!

You can also try to use an Oval/belgian cast.  Another thing make sure your rod travels tip travels in an arc!
This will open up your loop, which while not good for distance casting and efficiency will ensure the weight does not go flying into your rod tip!

Good luck, I plan on being out on the river practicing my skagit casting with a fish as a potential bonus!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 07:57:07 PM »

would it be easier to cast it with a 15foot sink tip? or would it be the same as a 10foot

I would think it would be more difficult the longer it got.